Roland Cube or Yamaha speaker

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Roland Cube or Yamaha speaker

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi all,
I'm looking at one of two speakers for on "the road"...a Yamaha speaker (model TO-1 - mid nineties) or a Roland Cube 30...
Both go for about E70...steep for the Yamaha, but it IS a synth-capable speaker, be it with a few watts...the Roland has 30W but...is a guitar speaker...
Which one to choose?
Thanks
Melissa

lilith
Established Member

Re: Roland Cube or Yamaha speaker

Post by lilith »

OccinticLady wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:59 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking at one of two speakers for on "the road"...a Yamaha speaker (model TO-1 - mid nineties) or a Roland Cube 30...
Both go for about E70...steep for the Yamaha, but it IS a synth-capable speaker, be it with a few watts...the Roland has 30W but...is a guitar speaker...
Which one to choose?
Thanks
Melissa

What do you want to connect and with what kind of cable?

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

Is it for monitoring or for the audience (small locations)?

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@OccinticLady
What instruments are you playing? I'm pretty sure that you'll find the Cube less suited to any kind of keyboards than the Yamaha: that series (especially the cheaper ones) is really aimed at busking guitarists (have a look at the "amp emulation" choices: they are all guitar-focused).

If you are running a PA, then putting a mic on the low-wattage-but-keyboard-focused mic is a reasonable choice. Or if the Yamaha has a "line out" port, running that one straight to the FOH mix should work, too.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

lilith wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 pm
OccinticLady wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:59 pm

Hi all,
Which one to choose?
Thanks
Melissa

What do you want to connect and with what kind of cable?

I'd go for shielded cable with a 6mm jack. It would ne two Korgs (Monologue and MicrokorgXL) - I have a mini mixer for that...aminimal setup for living room jamming with someone else (plays guitar)...

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

erlkönig wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:21 pm

Is it for monitoring or for the audience (small locations)?

Living room jamming, with some others, I have a mixer (a Stranger MM5) with room for five channels...

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

tseaver wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:53 pm

@OccinticLady
What instruments are you playing? I'm pretty sure that you'll find the Cube less suited to any kind of keyboards than the Yamaha: that series (especially the cheaper ones) is really aimed at busking guitarists (have a look at the "amp emulation" choices: they are all guitar-focused).

If you are running a PA, then putting a mic on the low-wattage-but-keyboard-focused mic is a reasonable choice. Or if the Yamaha has a "line out" port, running that one straight to the FOH mix should work, too.

I'd link my synths to it, for living room jamming.
The Yamaha is actually a vintage extention to the keyboard Yamaha had back then (the PS-10) and I doubt it has enough punch to do the job...

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

The Roland is a guitar amplifier and its frequency range does not fit to your synths.

Maybe get something like this:

https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_b_205d.htm

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

I haven't found anything about the Yamaha speakers - if they play in the domain of "hifi", you'd better go with the Roland cube. There are significant differences concerning reaction on impulses between speakers for home use (hifi) and for making music.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Fender have a pair of new frfr speakers, made for their new guitar amp modeler, the Tone Master Pro.
The FR 10 and FR 12 have been used by a few synth players who also like them. A Fender dealer should have some in stock.
Some people have mentioned them being a bit noisy at very close range, and many say it's typical with pre-amped gear these days,
and others say you have to be kissing the grill cloth in a quiet room to notice, and a couple of techs have determined it's easy to replace
the inexpensive parts with better ones, if needed. Might be worth checking out by finding a shop, or someone you know who has one
or two. Video examples from a long topic (each has a 12 second lessons ad up front)

https://youtu.be/XA0Q82SNHk0

https://youtu.be/pVKQuTRH8MA

@google fender fr12 youtube for many reviews

The topic; https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.2501747/

Merry Christmas, and may Santa bless your synths!