The Superpiano

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: The Superpiano

Post by Impostor »

tavasti wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:46 am
d.healey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 pm

Turns out they're just re-sampled PianoTeq patches - https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/1211-my- ... estonia/43

This just means that if you like them, get them now when they are available. Most likely they won't be for long :-)

I skip that part, I don't know how many gigs of pianos I have on my disk, and this far haven't made any song containing piano.

I'd advise everybody who liked the pianos to just buy Pianoteq. It's less than 44 MB (!) and with that emulates tens of acoustic and electric pianos, and a variety of other instruments to boot.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

varpa wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:24 am

Pianoteq can be used to generate resonances by sending an audio to an input. This is quite nice because it then makes realistic piano resonances which are typically missing from sampled pianos.

I'm curious. Sofia seems to have sampled Pianoteq. Shouldn't those samples then already have been affected with sympathetic resonance? I'm running Pianoteq Stage, and have no manual control over sympathetic resonance, and since I probably can't even distinguish a casio piano patch from a real piano in the first place, I wonder if this sympathetic resonance is at all present in Ptq Stage....

Edit: resonance only affects those strings where the dampers are off. Kind of obvious :) Really subtle effect though: I'd never notice its presence or absence in a musical piece...

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Impostor

I'd advise everybody who liked the pianos to just buy Pianoteq. It's less than 44 MB (!) and with that emulates tens of acoustic and electric pianos, and a variety of other instruments to boot.

I'm super pleased to have been supporting Modartt / Pianoteq for years now:

• They have been providing native Linux implementations since foreveer (I bought the first one almost three years ago, and it was already well-established)
  • The "physically modelled" approach appeals to my engineer brain, versus the endless treadmill of ever-more-tightly-modelled sampling.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

My problem with Pianoteq (demo) is that, although the size is small, it is a CPU hog. As soon as I try to play Pianoteq with other programs (IE OBS Studio) I get CPU overload.
That never happens with SFZ libraries and Sfizz on Carla, even if the library itself is huge.

Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

Impostor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:39 pm

Funny thing is now they know they've been duped some are claiming to have been suspicious all along :)

1-0 for Pianoteq.

I'm not going to claim that I wasn't duped, but the idea of manually playing 20 velocity layers made my brain niggle. I didn't think about it too hard though.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Baggypants wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:14 am

I'm not going to claim that I wasn't duped, but the idea of manually playing 20 velocity layers made my brain niggle. I didn't think about it too hard though.

If you read the OP's website they claimed to use a mechanical device to play the notes by hitting the strings directly rather than the keys. This isn't too out there as there are devices that can do similar things. If I was to sample a piano I would use a mechanical method of triggering the notes too. I think the real trick is how to do it without making a noise.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

A little postscript to this strange episode: I quite liked the samples and sent "sofia-m" a little coffee money. Of course, I was a bit embarrassed when the samples were revealed to be from Pianoteq. To my amazement the other day I got a message that my coffee money had been refunded! So whatever the point of this exercise was, it apparently was not to just to swindle a few tips. In the end I still feel I benefited from the experience since I learned about sfizz and how to configure Carla using Pianoteq for sympathetic resonance.