MusE saving Uhbik plugin state problem

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Impostor
Established Member

Re: MusE saving Uhbik plugin state problem

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:51 pm

Unfortunately it also requires several other tweaks, fixes, and re-writes,
all of which will make things "better".

So it seems you've already found out what causes the issue? That's great! I'll stop bugging you with related reports then :)

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: MusE saving Uhbik plugin state problem

Post by Tim E. Real »

Yes, these plugins do not inform us at all when patches change - and thus controls as well.
Therefore our own local mirrored control values do not get updated (generic ui etc.).
So I am re-writing the code to directly ask the plugin rather than relying on our local mirrored controls.

At the risk of jinxing my work, two or more other things are being changed:
Someone requested that when many synths or rack plugins in a song are missing on the system,
that we do not pop up a warning box for every missing plugin, but rather pop up one box at the end of loading
informing of all what was missing. That will be done.

Also, the concept of 'persistence' is finally being extended to rack plugins.
Currently, when synth track synths are missing from the system, we retain the info necessary
so that the user can open and work with the song and even save it without ill effect - when the missing plugins are finally
installed, the song can be re-opened and everything will still be there - nothing lost or discarded.
However this was not true of missing rack plugins. A warning box stated that they would be discarded if the song was saved.
This will no longer be the case. They will remain 'persistent'.

(FYI: Persistence has been available for Jack/ALSA routes for several years as well. For example a USB device
that was not plugged in when a song is loaded will still retain the information even if the song is saved.
If the USB device is re-plugged, even while MusE is running, the necessary Jack/ALSA routes will magically re-appear.
I am quite proud of that achievement, it took a lot of work. :wink: )