Metadata (Composer) in Media Players

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mandofrog
Established Member

Metadata (Composer) in Media Players

Post by mandofrog »

I'm not sure if this is more a question or a rant, and I'm not sure which sub-forum to even post in. But here goes:

First, is there a Linux CD ripper package where I can enter each songs composer/writer? And is there a media player app that displays or even offers to display the composer of each piece? As a musician, songwriter and writer, I ALWAYS make the effort to credit the composer/author of any piece. Switching to Linux, I'm very chagrined to try several media players and a couple ripper apps, and it seems all the developers ignore the whole idea of acknowledging the creator of a piece.

I've been using WinAmp on Windows for a number of years now, even though it hasn't been updated in a few years. "Composer" is one of the standard columns when ripping and when playing media. In classical music, the composer is crucial information, just as important as the name of the piece. In popular music, a lot of people don't pay much attention to the writer, but many people DO pay attention.

Am I just blowing steam?

-Randy (USA)
acoustic & electric guitar, mandolin, fiddle, drums
Ubuntu Studio (newbie), Reaper

Piergi
Established Member

Re: Metadata (Composer) in Media Players

Post by Piergi »

mandofrog wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:19 pm

And is there a media player app that displays or even offers to display the composer of each piece?

I have just checked Strawberry, it does have a column for "composer" (and many other tags). AFAIK it is not on by default.
It can also tag your files, although I prefer Picard for the task.

HTH

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

mpd has support for composer and performer. Cantata, an mpd client, can also use it for certain genres in place of artist.

Screenshot_20231126_225439.png
Screenshot_20231126_225439.png (47.42 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

I'm not sure about CD ripping but if I use puddletag for tagging/renaming/organising. Beets is also very powerful and well worth looking into.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

cantata.jpg
cantata.jpg (148.26 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

I also really like Cantata and it does indeed have the option to display Composer. Just click on the playlist title header and select it.
For tagging, I don't know of a CD ripper that automatically tags with Composer, and that may depend on whether that is in the tag database, CDDB or Musicbrainz, as CDs themselves are unlikely to have that (maybe in CD text data?).
For tagging I use and recommend Kid3.