Melonix

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

Melonix

Post by sjzstudio »

Has anyone tested this? Is the project still alive today?

https://github.com/mika314/melonix

LAM
Established Member

Re: Melonix

Post by LAM »

From YT comments:

@----
2 months ago
Nice work! ... is this project already dead or just in a relaxed pause period??? 😅

@mika314
2 months ago
It is open source, so there is always a chance somebody will pick it up. Personally, I do not have any immediate plans to continue on it.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

If this works like melodyne, that's something badly needed with this platform.

The thing is who has the time to pick up and continue on with it? I wish I knew how to do what the devs do. I think if these devs made stuff that rivals the commercial ones and do exactly like LSP plugins and sell to those guys because hey, Linux is free and it's there for folks like us either who just wants to dabble with music as a hobby but don't have the money or those who want to do it seriously but don't have the money. People using Apple and Microsoft tells me they have money so as Vladimir said, sell to these people but if you have good quality like LSP, those dudes will want it and sell it at a reasonable price compared to the big commercial ones and that supplements your income right there.

I thought it was a genius move by LSP. Those users of the other two platform laugh at us using this but they are quick to come by and grab stuff for free once it's available to them.

Just a thought because we've had so many great plugins and then all of a sudden it's stagnant. EQ10 is a perfect example.

I really hope somebody has the time to pick up where this dev left off again if this is supposed to be an open source version of melodyne

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Time will tell if someone continues to develop it. However, the work will probably be big if you want a really good tool.

GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:02 pm

People using Apple and Microsoft tells me they have money

Any non-Apple and non-Chromebook PC one buys off-the-shelf in the US has Windows pre-installed on it. Last year I bought a new laptop for $119 at Best Buy on Black Friday, the cheapest laptop in existence at the time, and it came with Windows 11. I recently put together a desktop PC to use as a dual-purpose Windows and Linux machine, and the cost for a Windows 11 Pro license through an OEM wholesaler was only $4.75 (plus tax). Windows doesn't add much cost to a machine in my experience, and in a lot of cases, it can be a cheaper option to buy a Windows PC and wipe it off the drive rather than buying one with Linux pre-installed, such as System76 or Slimbook, so I wouldn't conclude Windows users have more money than a Linux user.

It's unfortunate this project didn't see more development, but I can only wager a guess of how many hundreds of hours of (unpaid) work it would take to get it to a state on par with Melodyne, so I can understand why it stopped.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

GuntherT wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:00 pm

People using Apple and Microsoft tells me they have money

Any non-Apple and non-Chromebook PC one buys off-the-shelf in the US has Windows pre-installed on it. Last year I bought a new laptop for $119 at Best Buy on Black Friday, the cheapest laptop in existence at the time, and it came with Windows 11. I recently put together a desktop PC to use as a dual-purpose Windows and Linux machine, and the cost for a Windows 11 Pro license through an OEM wholesaler was only $4.75 (plus tax). Windows doesn't add much cost to a machine in my experience, and in a lot of cases, it can be a cheaper option to buy a Windows PC and wipe it off the drive rather than buying one with Linux pre-installed, such as System76 or Slimbook, so I wouldn't conclude Windows users have more money than a Linux user.

It's unfortunate this project didn't see more development, but I can only wager a guess of how many hundreds of hours of (unpaid) work it would take to get it to a state on par with Melodyne, so I can understand why it stopped.

There's nothing stopping him also selling it to Windows/Mac users. Just have to find the right business model. I think it's more likely he has other interests.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yes both you guys are correct and that's a serious point there. The part where he could have just lost interest.

That is quite understandable but when everything gets forked to the big platforms I've always thought I could be wrong but I've always thought that the dev is spreading himself too thin. I heard people say that if you get the two other big platforms users having interest in hours it will bring more of the commercial stuff to us because like it or not, some people do use Linux for serious audio production like myself. If I was running Mac or Windows, there's no way I would be able to do it because I'm on disability pension. So I am grateful to these guys but if one does lose interest and I'm using one of their plugins constantly, once Linux advances, a lot of the plugins if they're not updated won't work.

So with LSP coming up with that business model, I think all the other devs should do the same. I'm not talking about the ones who just have the smarts to develop these plugins and got bored and figured they are done by losing interest.

The dangerous thing is that if all these devs just decide that they have lost interest or they've started a family and of course that's more important or the job gets too intense that they don't have spare time, we are screwed but if these dudes are actually making some decent coin selling it, The chances of them sticking around will be a lot greater I would think.

Again it's just a thought because I would love for these guys to continue or at least if they got bored, they know that people are using it so at least make an announcement say on here or something that they will be abandoning the project and they would like someone if there's interest in that plugin to continue on with it.

Again I know it's their lives and they can do whatever the heck they want with it but when you make these things available for everyone to use, don't you think that that person now has that responsibility to at least notify folks that this is it, I will not be doing it anymore and if anyone is interested they're more than welcome to continue with it?

That's why I am at the point now of trying to use more hardware than anything else because I'm afraid of just that happening. Me using something and then all of a sudden the dev decides to get married or move on or God forbid, they pass away. It's one person doing it and once that one person is gone for whatever reason, the project stops unless someone picks it up so at least an announcement that they are leaving would be nice.

Being on the pension I do have to save but even plugins now if I really need something and I see that there's a commercial one made for our platform, I wait for a sale and then I would pick it up because at least I know this company has a chance on being around a little bit longer than that dev unless that company of course starts losing money and if they were all in it just for the money and not the passion of making these things they will close up shop.

I'm off for one making money and I'm also grateful for a platform where you can get top quality plugins for free.

But back to the topic, has anyone given it a shot and see if that plugin is worth it? If no one is trying to yet as soon as I'm finished a project I'm working on I will give it a shot and report on it.

I guess my topic or respond kind of hijacked this thread so sorry about that.

Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

Sad ... but it probably has died. There is still no tool under Linux that can come close to Melodyne and it will probably stay that way for a long time. After all, there remains at least mx tune with which halfway semi-serious work is possible. Everything else under Linux is completely out of the question. A further improvement of mx tune would represent a big step forward and a long-awaited alternative to melodyne.

Zonk

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

The thing is who has the time to pick up and continue on with it? I wish I knew how to do what the devs do.

It'd be cheaper, easier and more pleasurable to either learn how to sing or collaborate with someone who knows how to. Pitch corrected vocals sound nasty and it's an effect that's been done to death over the past two decades.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Or you incorporate parts of the Melodyne sound as a vocal technique ;)

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Zonk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:07 pm

Sad ... but it probably has died. There is still no tool under Linux that can come close to Melodyne and it will probably stay that way for a long time. After all, there remains at least mx tune with which halfway semi-serious work is possible. Everything else under Linux is completely out of the question. A further improvement of mx tune would represent a big step forward and a long-awaited alternative to melodyne.

Zonk

If you're happy to use a proprietary tool then Reaper's built in reatune is very good. https://prorec.com/how-to-autotune-voca ... e-antares/

David Healey
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Largos wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:14 am

The thing is who has the time to pick up and continue on with it? I wish I knew how to do what the devs do.

It'd be cheaper, easier and more pleasurable to either learn how to sing or collaborate with someone who knows how to. Pitch corrected vocals sound nasty and it's an effect that's been done to death over the past two decades.

I watched a video of a live band in a nice resort-town bar, everything was well played, but the singer was always flat when trying to be
expressive. Learning to sing (and perform in a key suited to vocal range) is critical if planning for a band career. In that resort town and venue,
the odds that a music-industry shaker is never in ear-shot are extremly small. Gotta be impressive and ready for action. The guys voice was great for the style, just needs some coaching and practice. Get heard, be noticed, and move up the ladder :wink:
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

autostatic wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:33 am

Effects used creatively keep things fresh. Effects used wisely help keep people listening.
I don't listen to much modern music, so I doubt I'd recognize melodyne in action, unless
someone pointed it out to me, but the beancounters either know what sells, or will soon count
a lower tier of beans :wink:

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:13 am
autostatic wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:33 am

Effects used creatively keep things fresh. Effects used wisely help keep people listening.
I don't listen to much modern music, so I doubt I'd recognize melodyne in action, unless
someone pointed it out to me, but the beancounters either know what sells, or will soon count
a lower tier of beans :wink:

I know someone who is a great singer, but when they sing they sound auto-tuned because they are imitating the music they listen to which is all heavily auto-tuned. :)

David Healey
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

An example of a contemporary and renowned artist doing this is Caroline Polacheck. Check her NPR Tiny Desk Concert for instance.