Drumgizmo humanizer causes delay

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

cobalt
Established Member

Drumgizmo humanizer causes delay

Post by cobalt »

Since I upgraded to Ardour 7.5 from 7.4 all my songs sounds terrible. I pinpointed the problem to the Drumgizmo tracks, which look ok, but on playback, every drum sound is slightly delayed (100ms) so the midi drum track gets out of sync with all the audio tracks (bass, guitars, vocals). When muting the drums the other sound fine together.
I now use Ardour 8.1 but the problem persists.

When I disable Timing humanizer in DG it snaps back into sync. Is this a known problem? The humanizer is a great function, but I can't use it anymore. Is it possible to troubleshoot if it's due to DG or Ardour?

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Drumgizmo humanizer causes delay

Post by bluebell »

cobalt wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:57 am

Since I upgraded to Ardour 7.5 from 7.4 all my songs sounds terrible. I pinpointed the problem to the Drumgizmo tracks, which look ok, but on playback, every drum sound is slightly delayed (100ms) so the midi drum track gets out of sync with all the audio tracks (bass, guitars, vocals). When muting the drums the other sound fine together.
I now use Ardour 8.1 but the problem persists.

When I disable Timing humanizer in DG it snaps back into sync. Is this a known problem? The humanizer is a great function, but I can't use it anymore. Is it possible to troubleshoot if it's due to DG or Ardour?

Did you update rubberband, too? I noticed that the v3 rubberband has a big latency. Maybe drumgizmo uses rubberband?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

This actually sounds like a potential bug in Ardour?
Timing humanizer introduces a fixed 100ms delay, which is reported to the host, so if this is somehow broken in Ardour that might be the issue

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

bluebell wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:08 am

Did you update rubberband, too? I noticed that the v3 rubberband has a big latency. Maybe drumgizmo uses rubberband?

DrumGizmo uses zita-resampler

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

deva wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:29 pm

This actually sounds like a potential bug in Ardour?
Timing humanizer introduces a fixed 100ms delay, which is reported to the host, so if this is somehow broken in Ardour that might be the issue

Maybe this can be workaround-fixed by inserting the artificialLatency-plugin and setting it to 100 ms. If that doesn't work then Ardour might have some problems with its plugin latency compensation.

http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/la ... th_sEc2.62

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

IIRC the latency compensation can manually be set directly in the plugin "wrapper" ui. Not sure though.

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I just tested it in the latest Ardour-git and there at least the latency seems to be reported correctly in the UI; I can see the number jumping from 0ms to 150ms in the top left corner of the UI window when toggling the timing humanizer.

cobalt
Established Member

Post by cobalt »

Thanks for diving into this. Is there something I can do to help getting it resolved? I reported this issue in the Ardour discourse a while ago, but it didn't take off...

I can absolutely try the workaround with manual latency fiddling. You always learn something new :)