Can mplayer (JACK) connect to more than one client?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ThatJackElliott
Established Member

Re: Can mplayer (JACK) connect to more than one client?

Post by ThatJackElliott »

Yes, headless. VNC, behind a locked door. It handles the FM audio processing for the community radio station I volunteer for, kpov.org. If at midnight there is a power outage long enough for the UPS powering it to run out of juice, we don't need to have someone have to get out of bed and connect remotely to get it up and running again. Power on, run the script that gets JACK and the clients up going unattended. I'm not running into any issues with the @reboot cronjob.

I see from your code that you first get jackd running then load jack-plumbing. I suppose that my various jack clients can be loaded after that and jack-plumbing will do what needs to be done to get them properly wired up.

Thanks for your assistance!

-- Jack Elliott
They'll never take me alive

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Can mplayer (JACK) connect to more than one client?

Post by bluebell »

ThatJackElliott wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:32 pm

Yes, headless. VNC, behind a locked door. It handles the FM audio processing for the community radio station I volunteer for, kpov.org. If at midnight there is a power outage long enough for the UPS powering it to run out of juice, we don't need to have someone have to get out of bed and connect remotely to get it up and running again. Power on, run the script that gets JACK and the clients up going unattended. I'm not running into any issues with the @reboot cronjob.

I see from your code that you first get jackd running then load jack-plumbing. I suppose that my various jack clients can be loaded after that and jack-plumbing will do what needs to be done to get them properly wired up.

Thanks for your assistance!

If you restart jack-plumbing in a loop then it's probably no problem to start it before jackd. I guess it will crash and be restarted until jackd is ready.

jack-plumbing will recognize the presence of started and stopped jack clients while it's active, yes. You don't have to restart it when new jack clients are started.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/