Configuring QJACKCTL and/or alternatives that don't break everything

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

carlosali

Configuring QJACKCTL and/or alternatives that don't break everything

Post by carlosali »

I've been using qjackctlas my tool to manage Jack and I got to the point where I can make everything work. The good thing is that I realized how shitty are the available ASIO solutions for Windows 💩

However, I'm struggling with making qjackctl remember my configuration correctly:
I can't remember my buffer size (I think it's the thing called frames/periods) choice ever, always sets it back to 1024 whenever I change the slightest thing and/or relaunch the software (like after a reboot).

The other main issue is that in the "Graph" window, even though it shows that my MIDI controller is well connected, It won't be recognized by my DAW (I tried both Reaper and Bitwig) till I disconnect it and connect it again during the same session.

Do you have any idea how to figure out these issues and if not, what are the well documented tools that can be used in order to achieve clean Audio and MIDI routing through Linux? I know of the existence of things called Carla, Pipewire and Pulseaudio but I genuinely don't understand if these are tools that do the same things or if they are different layers of a tool that have the same functionalities as qjackctl.

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

CPU: i7 1165g7
RAM : 32 Gigs

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Configuring QJACKCTL and/or alternatives that don't break everything

Post by Impostor »

Ubuntu 23.10 comes with Pipewire, which just poses as Jack. Configuring your pipewire audio system can't be done with qjackctl, afaik.

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Install qpwgraph (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/rncbc/qpwgraph.) It's a patchbay for Pipewire. Set your device to "Pro Audio" in the Ubuntu sound settings. Ardour works great with Pipewire, it just thinks it's talking to Jack.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@carlosali
Given that you are running Pipewire's JACK emulation, rather than "real" JACk, you might want to give rnbc's qpwgraph a look:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/rncbc/qpwgraph

It looks like it pretty much replicates the graph part of the qjackctl GUI.

It doesn't do the "manage JACK setup" bits (sample rate, number of buffers, etc.), nor the start / stop / transport controls which are on the main qjackctl window. I'm not using PW myself, so I haven't investigated other options.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

... or disable/remove PipeWire, just like we used to do with PulseAudio. Wait a minute... Wasn't PW supposed to end this vicious circle? :mrgreen: