WholeLottaBeats

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

WholeLottaBeats

Post by glowrak guy »

Recipe:
One IKM UNO flat-panel keybed synth set to 4 octaves, arp and latch mode active

One old skool synth or rack unit with drums mapped across it's keys, Alesis, Proteus, Yamaha XG etc

Reaper daw hosting some vsti drum plugin with midi-out... I used HG Fortune's Drumburst plugin in this case

Connect Drumburst or other fav to a Red Zeppelin LV2i drum plugin

Start Hydrogen playing a separate simple solid beat

Start Drumburst playing itself, and the Red Zeppelin kit

Connect the UNO to the oldskool synth by midi cable, pick a mapped kit, and tap and/or gliss...
keep testing til you find a keeper pattern, and choose Reaper's 'save live output to disk' option.

Now in the UNO arp, latch mode keeping the beat going, modify it's playback direction a few times, and use the random option for a bit.

When finished recording, fire up your audio editor, trim, copy, cut, and paste as desired. BOOMMMMmmmWhole Lotta Beats
Use Audacity to play it at different tempos, and re-record the finished track using Timemachine or your fav utility.

With a multi-input interface, the UNO's analog synth audio output is still available for more experiments.

A used UNO and old-skool synth should run around $300

WholeLottaBeats.jpg
WholeLottaBeats.jpg (224.47 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: WholeLottaBeats

Post by glowrak guy »

While using the above setup, I put my UNO on an E-mu Xmidi 2x2 usb midi interface, that added some extra fun. In Reaper, I used the Thorn synth's seq presets with midi-out, to play linux Hive Synth seq sounds. The UNO arp with latch mode on, allowed me play the keys of my main midi controller while switching synth presets looking for musical combinations.

There are 7 of the Xmidi units at the link, priced at $49.95. I've had mine for years, very well built, and they show up fine in qjackctl

https://www.amazon.com/mu-Xmidi-2X2-USB ... B002VDHMNM

emuX.jpeg
emuX.jpeg (2.72 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
xmidi.jpg
xmidi.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1472 times