IK Multimedia Mixbox effects rack standalone fine in wine

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

IK Multimedia Mixbox effects rack standalone fine in wine

Post by glowrak guy »

I bought this on sale, for future reference, because it included tones of presets with gear models I have no knowledge of,
so it was an educational gamble.

So far, the product manager worked, and the Mixbox standalone version seems to work perfectly, in latest AVLinux,
with wine-staging 8.18, and Reaper 6.82 IK really set a standard for ease of use in this product. Drag-n-drop effects,
multiple racks, and sensible menus. (the plugin version requires entering some of the menus from the side :roll: )

With qjackctl, it can precede, follow, or be used alonside many favorite linux tools,
and my 'studies', beyond encouraging practice, are already helping me improve some Rakarrack sounds.

I expect some great black-friday deals in a few weeks, as the competition will be interesting this year,
so I recommend watching things unfold, and trying the free version, to insure IK's product manager works
in your computer. It's 50% off for $99 atm, but they can go lower :wink:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox/

Mixbox-standalone.jpg
Mixbox-standalone.jpg (168.05 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: IK Multimedia Mixbox effects rack standalone fine in wine

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Is it a (VST) plugin or a standalone product that "presents" itself in Qjackctl as an audio device?

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Mixbox-qjackctl.jpg
Mixbox-qjackctl.jpg (168.12 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

Hi, it comes with vsti, vst3, and a standalone executable. I like the executable for interacting with linux software
also available as standalones, but it can be used as a pedalboard routed into a daw, or a mastering suite receiving daw output.
Or alonside of whatever is running. It comes with around 1600 categorized presets, which I read were good food for studying
effects chains, a topic for which I need much more understanding.
Cheers

(IK's free products routinely install the products full stash, over a gig sometimes, so some people
just have a delete xyz party after seeing what arrives, and what they can/will use. This IK policy is aimed at users of their
online Custom Shop, where they hope people will find and demo things not part of the free versions. It does
allow people to for example, handpick and purchase ala-carte, without needing cash for a full product, much of which may
go un-used. For example, the free Amplitube could have the Fulltone Collection purchased, which has their famous
overdrive, chorus and delay in stomp and rack gui's, and great sound is available when combined with the free content etc)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:09 am

Mixbox-qjackctl.jpg

Hi, it comes with vsti, vst3, and a standalone executable. I like the executable for interacting with linux software
also available as standalones, but it can be used as a pedalboard routed into a daw, or a mastering suite receiving daw output.
Or alonside of whatever is running. It comes with around 1600 categorized presets, which I read were good food for studying
effects chains, a topic for which I need much more understanding.
Cheers

(IK's free products routinely install the products full stash, over a gig sometimes, so some people
just have a delete xyz party after seeing what arrives, and what they can/will use. This IK policy is aimed at users of their
online Custom Shop, where they hope people will find and demo things not part of the free versions. It does
allow people to for example, handpick and purchase ala-carte, without needing cash for a full product, much of which may
go un-used. For example, the free Amplitube could have the Fulltone Collection purchased, which has their famous
overdrive, chorus and delay in stomp and rack gui's, and great sound is available when combined with the free content etc)

Thank you for the info. I hope it has a lot of added value over the VST effects that are already available in Linux like LSP (Linux Studio Plugins).

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Added value depends somewhat on use. Someone with a good spot in a money-making cover band, or wanting a place
in a commercial recording studio, may benefit by seeing and using accurate gui's of things they'll be expected to have some familiarity with
in the workplace. Also, people with limited free time, might want to use models of gear that is backed up by easily found internet info on what
things do, and how well they do it. So budgeting time and money can be a balancing act, and the balance can change as one's
circumstances sometimes do. I wonder if parts of the LSP collection would work in a Rakarrack type gui, where a panel or pedalboard
with draggable modules chosen from a collection, would be convenient? Might be a handy type interface for vst/lv2 plugins in general,
with some generous modern standards allowing more complexity than is found in the typical Rakarrack modules.
Cheers