alsamixer f***** me again! (or, Pipewire just works)

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

alsamixer f***** me again! (or, Pipewire just works)

Post by martibs »

Man, I was in the process of writing a long detailed post about how I was unable to capture any sound from my audio device after installing MX 23, and switching to Pipewire. Playback was working like a charm out of the box, even with Ardour via pw-jack, but I could not capture any audio, in any way I tried to set it up.

So after a lot of head scratching, I decided to turn to the forum for help, describing the issue in detail, when I suddenly remembered my old "friend" alsamixer. Fired it up, and yep, all the capture channels was turned all the way down. WWWWWHHHHYYYYYY is this the default setting?! In such an obscure program which isn't used anymore?? So frustrating.

Other than that, Pipewire seems to just work. But I find the qpwgraph interface to be quite ugly. Is it possible to use Cadence to make graph connections?

ForrestH
Established Member

Re: alsamixer f***** me again! (or, Pipewire just works)

Post by ForrestH »

/* I use alsamixer daily */

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Please Rui, make the pipewire graph available with straight and diagonal line connections. Beziers and placement wrestling can waste a lot of time in complex routings. I never use them in qjackctl, which is arguably the most important tool in the linux audio toolbox.

It would really help people trying pipewire, to have an option. (apologies if that already exists now, and I'm unaware!
I don't need pipewire)
Cheers

Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

martibs wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:05 pm

Other than that, Pipewire seems to just work. But I find the qpwgraph interface to be quite ugly. Is it possible to use Cadence to make graph connections?

Patchance can also be used to control the graph. (It's also built into RaySession)