I can't record audio for some reason

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

DWW256
Established Member

I can't record audio for some reason

Post by DWW256 »

When I create an input module, it won't register any sound input in the mixer, even after I route my computer's microphone to it. Other DAWs seem to work fine. I'm using PipeWire on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

spamatica
Established Member

Re: I can't record audio for some reason

Post by spamatica »

DWW256 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:03 pm

When I create an input module, it won't register any sound input in the mixer, even after I route my computer's microphone to it. Other DAWs seem to work fine. I'm using PipeWire on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I'm not versed in pipewire so there may be complexities I'm not aware of..
But, first make sure MusE is using the Jack backend (which I suppose pipewire should interface to), it should say JackAudioDevice at the bottom.

Could you describe how you routed the microphone? Basically you should use the => button on the Input Track.
There is also a description here: https://muse-sequencer.github.io/docs/beginners.html

The meter should come alive as soon as there is a working connection to the physical input

MusE DAW
DWW256
Established Member

Post by DWW256 »

I was using the JACK backend. When I followed the instructions in the docs, nothing was working—but when I switched to PulseAudio, everything magically started working correctly! Go figure!

Not sure if this is a PipeWire problem or an openSUSE problem. Perhaps I'll switch to Fedora some time and find out.

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Alright, weird.

Very likely there is some unknown (to me) behaviour of PipeWire that causes this.

Interesting that it works with PulseAudio. Though, with the RtAudio backend the support is rather basic and a stereo input is auto-routed to the Input Track, so maybe it is to be expected.
However, latency will likely be a rather big issue, which is why I mostly do not recommend it for audio recording.

MusE DAW