East west in Linux ?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jojo
Established Member

East west in Linux ?

Post by Jojo »

Hi,

What are my options to have East west composer cloud+ (specifically) to Linux (Debian testing, so up to date binaries and libs) ?
I don't care to spend $$$, I just need it to work.

I have a -small- Windows 10 partition as well, but since I work a lot under Linux, it bothers me to reboot etc..

What are your experience with Wine vs/or Yabridge ?
I thought about using Reaper but it is just a first throw. It's a call for your experience here for this specific software.

Thanks !

tavasti
Established Member

Re: East west in Linux ?

Post by tavasti »

Get it and try. I won't bother trying because that subscription costs montly the sum I might pay once :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I tried Googling but for the life of me I can't determine what the hell "East west composer cloud+" actually is. All the websites are too vague.

A VST in the cloud maybe? A VST is a piece of software that one install on hard disk on one's computer as far as I know. Everything in "the cloud" (read: just another server on the internet) needs to be downloaded and saved to disk or accessed by "special" software AFAIK. Sometimes things Midi etc. can be done via an interface in Chrome, but I'm too old and simple to understand how that works. And I fear that it's bound to break with any minor update/upgrade.

Anyway, if you have to install "special" (Windows) software to access these virtual instrument in any way whatsoever I'd forget about it. Even on Windows.

BTW YABridge is very nice software to "bridge" Windows VST (you know: the ones you own and have on hard disk) to Linux VST. But as with any software from one OS you'd like to run on another OS: your mileage may vary. So beware before you pay for Windows stuff to use it on Linux. As a matter of fact: never use Windows stuff on Linux except for the occasional time you absolutely have to. Once. My 2 cents.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:20 am

I tried Googling but for the life of me I can't determine what the hell "East west composer cloud+" actually is. All the websites are too vague.

It is subscription-based service where you get huge number of sampled orchestral instruments. Just like when you are playing guitar, not one guitar is not enough, but optimal number of guitars is 'one more than you have'. Same way when you make orchestral music, one symphony orchestra is not enough.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

tavasti wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:40 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:20 am

It is subscription-based service where you get huge number of sampled orchestral instruments. Just like when you are playing guitar, not one guitar is not enough, but optimal number of guitars is 'one more than you have'. Same way when you make orchestral music, one symphony orchestra is not enough.

Thanks for replying. But what do actually you get then? WAV files from the samples? VST instruments (read: a downloadable file)? Or do you have to install a Windows application that will "access" and play it via the internet?

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:53 pm

Thanks for replying. But what do actually you get then? WAV files from the samples? VST instruments (read: a downloadable file)? Or do you have to install a Windows application that will "access" and play it via the internet?

I haven't used anything from them, but they are VST instruments and huge amount of data. Just like if you get decent sampler instrument.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Linuxmusician01

But what do actually you get then? WAV files from the samples? VST instruments (read: a downloadable file)? Or do you have to install a Windows application that will "access" and play it via the internet?

First, a disclaimer: I'm not actually using any East/West libraries.

But I have watched videos of composers using their "cloud library" tooling. Their model is that you run their VSTi (a Windows plugin) and use it to download (as needed) and compose with any of the sample libraries in their online collection. As with any other subscription model, you have to keep paying to guarantee continued access to the libraries, which makes this a firm NO for me. But for students or new-to-the-business composers who are looking for a way to produce this week's film / animation / game score, without the upfront capital cost of buying the actual libraries they need, it might be an attractive option.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Jojo
Established Member

Post by Jojo »

Thanks for your inputs my friends,

Not so great for my plans then..

k410
Established Member

Post by k410 »

Another aspect is that Composer Cloud uses iLok, which is not supported on Linux.

They do allow activating to a computer (on Linux it would be to a wineprefix or bottle) instead of to a dongle, but then I think you would have to be careful to lock/hold the wine version for that wineprefix or bottle to avoid losing that activation (if I understand this correctly).

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

k410 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:16 pm

They do allow activating to a computer (on Linux it would be to a wineprefix or bottle) instead of to a dongle, but then I think you would have to be careful to lock/hold the wine version for that wineprefix or bottle to avoid losing that activation (if I understand this correctly).

I have few iLok plugins, and they are working ok even wine version updates. When I re-installed my computer (ubuntu 1804 -> devuan 4) and tried to use same wine prefix, that did not work. And could not free those activations, so I needed to ask plugin makers to free my licenses. Best thing ever, have to ask freeing of license for something that you get without paying a single penny. For example VSL has such products :-)