How do I use plugins with Konfyt?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

starfry
Established Member

How do I use plugins with Konfyt?

Post by starfry »

Love Konfyt @noedig.

I've just rebuilt my keyboard computer and am trying to sort out some of the niggles I have. I've now got it set up lovely with Konfyt opening on login and making things "play ready" pretty quickly. I have a couple of questions, if I may.

I have some plugin instruments, example CollaB3, that I have working in Carla. I've configured the patching in Konfyt and it works well. Konfyt starts Carla, which loads the plugins, and then Konfyt sets up the connections. The problem I have is that those instruments fall outside of Konfyt and break the workflow (e.g. can't mute, not affected by master volume control).

What I'd really like is to be able to display a plugin as a "patch" in Konfyt, so it's listed and controllable like my other SFZ/Sf2 patches. Is that possible?
Sorry I couldn't work out how to do it.

My other question is minor but if it is possible to have the external applications launch automatically when Konfyt loads the project?

Love the program and thank you for making it.

noedig
Established Member

Re: How do I use plugins with Konfyt?

Post by noedig »

I assume you currently have a MIDI out layer in each patch that sends it to the plugins in Carla, and the plugin audio output connected to system out.
The trick is to now add an audio input port layer to the Konfyt patch, which routes the plugin audio back into Konfyt instead of directly to system out. So for each plugin, you have a MIDI and an audio layer.

starfry wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:57 pm

it is possible to have the external applications launch automatically when Konfyt loads the project?

This is possible since Konfyt version 1.3.0. Check that you are using the latest one.

starfry
Established Member

Post by starfry »

Thank you. Connecting it up like you suggested works a charm. Just a learning curve I guess. I also found the option to autostart external programs, so that's also good.

The only other thing I can't see an option for is to change the patch names because they are just the (possibly quite long) path to the sf2/sfz file which doesn't fit on the display and makes it hard to read. Perhaps an optional label could be entered to override the default of showing the file path? A bit like you can do with the audio-in patches.

I think you've truly hit the nail on the head with this program, there is nothing else out there quite like it for a player workstation :D

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

I'll look into adding more friendly/custom names for sf2/sfz layers.