Weird Harmonics in Guitarix

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

deperito
Established Member

Weird Harmonics in Guitarix

Post by deperito »

Hi there,

I think I'm experiencing some "weird" stuff.

I'm trying to get a Van Halen-ish sound on Guitarix as close as the sound in "Ain't talking 'bout love" (https://youtu.be/Y-IUB62zDlA?si=KezT_4EnmFQtdo2G) as possible. Here some screenshots of my Guitarix setup to let you know how I attempted to recreate the sound:

GuitarixSetup1.jpg
GuitarixSetup1.jpg (127.7 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
GuitarixSetup2.jpg
GuitarixSetup2.jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

As you can see I'm using a Multi Band Distortion combined with an Echo and a Phaser. I'm also using a Convolver with the "Van Halen Van Halen" IR from this: https://archive.org/details/BestpluginsIRPackComplete pack in order to simulate Van Halen's ampli gear.

I'm pretty much happy with the sound I got, except that I'm finding harmonics (f.e. Artificial Harmonics) not very loud and "squealing". Plus, they are somehow harder to obtain fully than in other setups I tried previously.

As an example, I tried playing the same harmonics with a preset of my ZOOM G2 multi effect processor (https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar/ ... ects-pedal) and they really result more loud, squealing and "present"; This time they are also a lot easier to obtain on the guitar.

Could this annoying behaviour be due to some "incorrect" setting in my Guitarix setup or this is more likely due to how the two different processors handle the audio signal from my guitar? If so, could someone suggest me another virtual amplifier/signal processor with better performance in this area which I can try on Linux?

I'm leaving the details about the preset I'm using on the ZOOM G2 and the settings for every module composing the preset to give you an idea of characteristics of the sound.
The preset I'm using on the ZOOM G2 is the "b3" one, but I can't remember if I also edited it a little bit. Below are the detailed settings for every module of the preset.
The controls are pretty much the usual ones you always find for the specific module/effect, I'll just try to explain the "weird" stuff.

Compressor: OFF
WAH/EFX: OFF
ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction): nr (Threshold: 16 out of 16) - "nr" stands for "ZOOM original noise reduction", this module serves for reducing noise during playing pauses.
Compressor: OFF
Drive: Ed (Gain:80 out of 100, Tone: 5 out of 10, Level: 80 out of 100) - Ed stands for "Extreme Distortion": Intense super-high gain distortion
EQ: ON (Bass[160Hz]: 0, Middle[800Hz]: 1, Treble[3.2kHz]: 7) - This module allows adjusting the three main bands (BASS, MIDDLE, TREBLE) of the six-band equalizer. For each of the three main bands, you can set a value from -12 to +12.
EXTRA EQ/CABI&MIC: Et (LoMid[400hz]: 0, Presence[6.4kHz]: -1, Harmonics[12 kHz]: 7) - "Et" is the "Extra Eq" module, this module Adjusts the three remaining bands of the six-band equalizer. Again, or each of the three bands, you can set a value from -12 to +12.
MOD/SFX: FL (Depth: 60 out of 100, Rate: 6 out of 50, Resonance: 1 on a scale of -10 to 10) - "FL" stands for "Flanger"
DELAY: dL (Time: 37 out of 500, Feedback: 12 out of 100, Mix: 6 out of 100) - "dL" stands for "Delay"
REVERB: rN (Decay: 10 out of 30, Tone: 3 out of 10, Mix: 60 out of 100 ) - "rN" stands for "Room", this reverb simulates the acoustics of a room.
CONTROL: always ON - This module serves for making pedal settings and lets you control the foot switch function and master
level setting applying to all patches. Nothing very interesting here IMHO, maybe just the fact that the "Master level" value which adjusts the master level for all patches is set to 80 out of 100.

Thanks in advance to all.

tseaver
Established Member

Re: Weird Harmonics in Guitarix

Post by tseaver »

@deperito I'm afraid I don't know enough to give you an authoritative answer, or even an educated hunch, just some general diagnositic / bug isolation hints.

I would try diagnosing the issue by playing the harmonic note you'd like to hear, disabling each item in the Guitarix rack and then re-enabling it. In an ideal world, I'd want to record the "dry" / DI guitar signal while making the desired note (maybe splitting it off with a DI box in front of your Zoom pedal?), and then play that recorded signal back, isolating each component. The "feel" difference you report (finding it harder to get the harmonic to ring as easily) smells like one of those hard-to-trace interactions between components: I'd probably try another (shorter?) guitar cable, using / disablign a buffering pedal (like my Boss tuner) in front of the audio interface jack, etc.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

There are some Van Halen presets online https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/2902
you could download them with the online button. They may help you as a starting point.

On the road again.
deperito
Established Member

Post by deperito »

tramp wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:46 am

There are some Van Halen presets online https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/2902
you could download them with the online button. They may help you as a starting point.

Thank you, I looked at the video and I must say the harmonics look good... I think I'll give it a try.

May I ask you the way you searched for Guitarix preset on the internet? Is there some website I should check maybe?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

The guitarix presets been all on
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts ... q=guitarix

but you didn't need to check there. It is integrated in guitarix. Just check the online button from the preset window to see all online presets.

On the road again.