Integrated ALSA mixer with MIDI control

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

starfry
Established Member

Integrated ALSA mixer with MIDI control

Post by starfry »

Hello, I'd call myself a very basic user musically however very experienced technically. I'm looking for a way to control where Jack output goes - mainly headphones and/or line-out (to amp and speakers). I have a single Jack output called "system" that hands over to ALSA and I need to use the alsamixer to control whether that goes to headphones, speakers or both, and at what volume levels.

I can use the command-line alsamixer but what I'd really like is something integrated, say that I could drop onto my patchbay (I use Carla) and control its sliders and buttons with my midi control.

The best graphical control I've found is qasmixer (of qastools) but it is sorely lacking the hardware integration I could get if I could control it over midi.

It'd be good to be able to control this from my Carla Jack rack.

I expect there's nothing like this, which surprises me as I don't see it as a "complex need". Perhaps I am doing it wrong, how do others approach this?

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Integrated ALSA mixer with MIDI control

Post by Impostor »

Me, I just plug my headphones into my amplifier instead of my pc.

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

You could use Mididings to trigger a Python function based on MIDI input, and then use subprocess to run the appropriate command to set ALSA volumes.

starfry
Established Member

Post by starfry »

That is interesting, I will have to play with that. I can see tons of uses that I have yet to think up :D