Pulse Audio - JACK - and some strange ideas

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

airwavesmediagroup

Pulse Audio - JACK - and some strange ideas

Post by airwavesmediagroup »

Hey Everyone,

I am glad to be here and I am hoping that the awesome folks in this forum can give me a hand.

Here is the scenario as uncomplicated as I can explain it

Virtual server running linux (will be referred to as the HOST for this breakdown)
Has dummy sound running on it, no PHYSICAL sound cards present
Has JACK installed
Has Pulseaudio installed
has a "customized audio program" installed
the above program can playback and record

Any box connecting to the above will be referred in this explanation as the CLIENT

Clients= various OS, devices, could be an android, IOS, MAC, Linux, WIndows desktop, laptop, phone, tablet

Proposed setup

CLIENT connects to host using a service called "cleanfeed" which is probably like a SIP service, but its browser based.
Clients mic pass through this service and is received directly on HOST browser
Audio that is incoming to the HOST is passed to the INPUT of the device, so when a recording is started, the incoming "speakers" are channeled to the HOST mic port
Audio played back on the HOST is routed from the program to the cleanfeed connection via the HOSTS mic port, and the audio is retransmitted over the connection to the CLIENT and received by the CLIENTS speakers (or in most cases HEADPHONES)

Reasons: The reasoning behind this setup is to create a universal connection to the host regardless of devices or OS, and allow audio from the HOST to pass through to the CLIENT with very little latency, the CLIENT also will be able to transmit fresh audio to the HOST with low latency.
This setup would allow the CLIENT to not have to store a copy of the audio THAT IS ALREADY on the HOST, as it can listen virtually with the connection and an RDP session

Issues, We have jack setup but we do not see any way to get "firefox or chrome" audio" routed to Jack.

This setup could also be accomplished with a SIPPhone as well, however an install of Linphone did successfully complete, however the sipphone wont answer the incoming calls, and there does not seem to be any way to route it through JACK again

Any thought or ideas on this would be happily welcomed!

Thanks again!

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Pulse Audio - JACK - and some strange ideas

Post by sunrat »

To route Pulseaudio through to JACK you need to install pulseaudio-module-jack , load the module and activate its connection.

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jack-sink
pactl load-module module-jack-source

You may need other steps but as it's a custom setup I'm not sure what exactly. You could use Qjackctl Patchbay/Graph for a GUI, and command line is also possible.