Harrison Gone To The Dogs.

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Harrison Gone To The Dogs.

Post by merlyn »

It's been a while since I had an email from Harrison. Their emails often had crazy deals. I got all the XT plugins for $19, or something like that. I thought at that price they're practically giving them away.

I received an email from Harrison and yes, it had a deal. A joint offer of a Harrison plugin and an SSL plugin. There was about 10% of hope that SSL may miraculously offer their plugins as LV2s, but no, there is no Linux version of SSL plugins, and, to add insult to injury, SSL suggest that subscribing and using iLok is a good idea.

Somewhere in their data Harrison must know that I use Linux. It's kind of insulting that I'm getting an email about the usual Windows shit. A statement from Ben Loftis that concerned me at the time was "For real music I use a Mac". Oops. Warning bells sounding. It would seem emails from Harrison will now be to sell SSL plugins, subscriptions and iLok to Linux users. Good luck with that.

Largos
Established Member

Re: Harrison Gone To The Dogs.

Post by Largos »

Gone to the dogs? Harrison got shown up for selling snake oil with their plugins some time ago. All this analog emulation stuff is open to abuse, people selling plugins that apparently sound like an expensive piece of gear knowing that most people can't verify claims themselves.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

You may be missing the point there. Snake oil or not, it was snake oil for Linux. (I don't think 'analogue emulation' in principle is snake oil.)

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

merlyn wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:45 pm

I don't think 'analogue emulation' in principle is snake oil.

It is when it's not analogue emulation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSHexh1yNoc

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I am engineer, and I have been programming module to spice, electronics simulator. All that 'we have modelled every transistor' stuff sounded like lie immediately, but I did not care. Mixbus mixer is great tool, and I don't give a shit that all that analog-hype is lie.

Another thing Mixbus was blamed was EQ cramping if you have bell somewhat near Nyquist frequency, meaning like in 13kHz or something like that. I have to say that I have very hard time finding reason why anybody would have any peak eq on that area. Shelf would make some sense.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

I received that email but didn't read the fine print yet... :(

I saw the SSL Plugin and though "Wow another Pro Audio choice for Linux Users! Nice!" but I didn't have time to read the whole thing..

In fairness this union is all quite new and it would be quite surprising that if SSL indeed did have the will to port their Plugins to Linux and step away from iLok it would take some time. That said it might be nice to have something in the email explaining clearly that there weren't Linux versions and indicate what the future plans are.

My guess is the at the first corporate boardroom meeting there was probably some shock and awe about the tiny revenue stream coming from Linux, my guess is the entire slice of the Linux profits wouldn't even pay SSL's developers enough to (a) remove iLok and come up with a cross-platform theft scheme and (b) port everything to Linux... as far as LV2 I'd guess that is not likely to happen even if VST3 does..

We have to remember the bond between Harrison and Linux is primarily Ardour's wheels and chassis and their symbiotic relationship, which has been VERY reciprocal to the benefit of all (just look at Ben's numerous commits to Ardour's GIT)... Revenue on it's own would most likely not endear any of the DAW makers who support Linux to the cause..

I don't like it either, just making some practical educated guesses here..

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

d.healey wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:34 pm

Aaah, that Dan Worrall saga. It was pretty much debunked and labelled as clickbait. Certainly the marketing department were a little over the top but the plugins in question were good quality nevertheless.

I'm a Mixbus 32C user and the merger with SSL is concerning particularly with the execrable iLok. There's an active discussion on Mixbus forums currently and Ben Loftis has assured that Mixbus development for Linux will definitely continue and current plugins and Mixbus will retain the current licensing. It is unlikely that SSL plugins will have Linux versions however.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

sunrat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 am
d.healey wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:34 pm

Aaah, that Dan Worrall saga. It was pretty much debunked and labelled as clickbait. Certainly the marketing department were a little over the top but the plugins in question were good quality nevertheless.

I'm a Mixbus 32C user and the merger with SSL is concerning particularly with the execrable iLok. There's an active discussion on Mixbus forums currently and Ben Loftis has assured that Mixbus development for Linux will definitely continue and current plugins and Mixbus will retain the current licensing. It is unlikely that SSL plugins will have Linux versions however.

Where was it debunked?