change instruments on importet MIDI tracks

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

topmusik
Established Member

change instruments on importet MIDI tracks

Post by topmusik »

Dear LM,
when I change the instrument of an importet MIDI track in MusE it always snaps back to the instrument as it was before after the end of the track is reached. How can I fix this?

Impostor
Established Member

Re: change instruments on importet MIDI tracks

Post by Impostor »

topmusik wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:50 am

Dear LM,
when I change the instrument of an importet MIDI track in MusE it always snaps back to the instrument as it was before after the end of the track is reached. How can I fix this?

It may contain program change events during the song, instead of only at the beginning. A tedious way to remove all of these is to open the event list per part (select part, then right-click, select "event list"), click on "type", which orders the events by type, and then select all "program" events to delete them.

There's also a Midi transform dialog, which would be much faster, but I don't see the option to select program change events there. Maybe @j_e_f_f_g knows how to do this.

Edit: Ah, I see your issue is that the instrument reverts to the original after the end of the track. I somehow read that as before the end is reached.

That is normal, since the midi file contains a program change event in the beginning of each track. If you want to assign your own choice of instrument, just change, or delete, that event from the event list.