Songs By DLP

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

Songs By DLP

Post by davephillips »

https://davidlphillips.bandcamp.com/album/songs-by-dlp

Finally got around to releasing an album. Most of this stuff has been posted previously on various sites at various times but a couple things are relatively new. The quality of the tracks varies considerably, with some tracks in a completed state while others are unpolished work recordings. Anyway, they are what they are. Btw, lyrics are included for each song. Note that some of the lyrics are non-PC, NSFW, and outright rude. The overly-sensitive have been warned.

Incidentally, all these tracks were recorded using Linux audio tools. A deep bow from the waist to all the developers and the Linux audio community.

Dave Phillips
2 August 2023

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Songs By DLP

Post by Michael Willis »

I think my favorite is Tell Me Again, it made me think of Johnny Cash.

I feel like there's more of a story behind The Spring of 23. At first I thought it was talking about the current year, but then it made me wonder if you have some story from your ancestors that lived in previous century.

Fair Enough was a fun way to end the album.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very much enjoying this :D

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

This is the nicest surprise I've had all summer! :D :D :D

Looking forward to diving in!! I've also always had a soft spot for Tell Me Again (and Get on Board the Blues of course). Tremendous writing!

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

What a great music! I really like every song.
"Drummer in a bluesband" :)
What does it mean, if a licence plate is orange?
"It takes a long hard time to make a cold hard man" really strong and impressive! Is there a story behind the lyrics of the song?

The recordings sound very consistent, did you track and mix them in a bunch, or were they done over the years?

Again, really great! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by erlkönig on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Great collection! Interesting stories and poetic lyrics, excellent feel and playing throughout.
Thanks, Dave!

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

erlkönig wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:08 pm

What a great music! I really like every song.

Thank you !

"Drummer in a bluesband" :)

My drummer is an old friend, I wrote the song for fun. He loves it.

What does it mean, if a licence plate is orange?

These days it's more likely to indicate that the car is from New York. But my song is about a practice by a local court here in Ohio. Some years ago a municipal court judge decided that if you were caught driving drunk the city would put orange license plates on any vehicle you might still be allowed to drive. Alas, they discontinued the practice - perhaps too many "better" citizens were embarrassed - but for a while we all knew who got caught.

"It takes a long hard time to make a cold hard man" really strong and impressive! Is there a story behind the lyrics of the song?

It's inspired by The Road, a novel by Cormac McCarthy, but it's not taken from any particular scene or passage in the book. The century could be any, 1923, 1723, 2123. Likewise, the location could be anywhere. The overall grimness implies some sort of unspecified disaster, as in The Road.

The recordings sound very consistent, did you track and mix them in a bunch, or where they done over the years?

They represent activity over the last 20 years, plus or minus. The recording circumstances vary. Some use MIDI-based instrumentation, some don't. The guitar parts were all performed, ditto the harmonica. Some of the bass parts are MIDI, some are live recordings.

I mixed the collection in Mixbus32C. Most tracks required some attention to levels, compression, and EQ. I must say that the Mixbus channel controls are outstanding.

Again, really great! Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. Thank you for listening, I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes. :)

Best regards,

dp

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:21 pm

I think my favorite is Tell Me Again, it made me think of Johnny Cash.

Funny you should mention Johnny Cash. I have a student who sings with the best baritone/bass voice, I've thought about asking him to try the song. I think the results might be very Cash-like.

I feel like there's more of a story behind The Spring of 23. At first I thought it was talking about the current year, but then it made me wonder if you have some story from your ancestors that lived in previous century.

See my reply @erlkönig for details regarding that song. It's not at all biographical, but it does have a "close" feeling.

Fair Enough was a fun way to end the album.

I like it there too, it lightens the mood again after The Spring Of 23.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my songs, Michael. Vastly appreciated ! :)

Best regards,

dp

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

When someone is exceedingly well read, dedicated to craft, and is a solid story-teller, with style, and a sense of humor,
an album like this is possible. Well done! 'Blues Under Pressure' made me visualize the late David Crosby and Stephen Stills,
at 3 AM, in a venue down the street from the Fillmore West 8)

'Tell Me Again' is also great, and quickly equaling and reminding of that other Dave's recent song, 'Face To Face',

https://youtu.be/dRFIoyeU_bg

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@davephillips

I had somehow missed Together at the End of the World, really great stuff, loved the lyrics and the happy calypso beat with the subject matter is a cool mix of sweet n' sour haha! Also tremendous fingerpicking on Fair Enough, it's like your thumb has a metronome built in!

Now some stupid questions... In the cover photo which I've seen on other postings, (a) What guitar is that? (b) What is the box on said guitar with the cables running in and out of it? Sorry the gear nut in me is equally as dominant as the music fan.. :oops:

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:08 am

When someone is exceedingly well read, dedicated to craft, and is a solid story-teller, with style, and a sense of humor,
an album like this is possible.

Thank you so much ! :)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I always appreciate how you share knowledge and wisdom, and refrain from tomfoolery and pointless discussion. And still manage to have a good time. There have been times when I stop typing, and think, 'I bet Dave wouldn't go down this rabbit hole', and just get back to work/play, mind my own business, maybe actually practice something like a skill :wink:
Looking forward to the next LP.

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:54 am

I always appreciate how you share knowledge and wisdom, and refrain from tomfoolery and pointless discussion.

Long ago I discovered that chasing polemics typically led nowhere useful. I've tried to avoid insistence on a point of view, it never seemed the right way to build a diverse and vital community. I'm proud to be a part of the Linux audio world and the greater Linux world in general, and I hope I've made at least a little positive contribution to those worlds. Others have done so much more and continue to do so with quiet and steady resolve. Heroes all.

Of course, shaking things up now and then doesn't hurt, so long as the intention is backed by good faith.

All blessings upon you & yours, G-squared ! :)

dp