Something from the past :)

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Something from the past :)

Post by folderol »

There is an 18 Century pub in Sandhurst (UK) that used to have a jazz session every Wednesday night. This was in the middle to late 1960s. A fellow trainee at work introduced me to it. As I didn't have wheels at that time I'd go with him and a couple of other guys. This went on for a few of years until I moved away. Another factor was that among my generation in the Reading area it was, for some reason, considered 'square' (1960s uncool) to be into jazz, so I didn't advertise the fact.

There was a regular band who seemed ancient to me (so were probably in their 30s) along with guest artists. They'd play a mixture of Trad & Modern jazz, but towards the end of the evening, when we were all feeling very {ahem} relaxed, they nearly always dropped in an improvisation. Some turned out bizarre, some fantastic. Frequently they'd call to the audience for a title or theme. With hindsight, I think they often had a 'plant' among us.

One evening I will always especially remember was when they had some banter as to what they should call the improv. and a mock argument. When the inevitable call to the audience came, there was an instant shout of 'Grandpa's belly's got spots'. There was considerable spraying of beer!

So the band played, I really can't remember what, but suddenly stopped and all shouted 'Grandpa's belly's got spots'. It took no time for everyone to catch on, and at every break after, the cry came back. The locals must have thought we'd all gone stark staring bonkers!

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Something from the past :)

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Are you British, folderol??

If so, did you ever see any of these bands live? Henry Cow, King Crimson, Gryphon, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Renaissance, U.K.

I presume you know about my favorite guitarist, Alan Holdsworth?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:35 pm

Are you British, folderol??

If so, did you ever see any of these bands live? Henry Cow, King Crimson, Gryphon, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Renaissance, U.K.

I presume you know about my favorite guitarist, Alan Holdsworth?

Yep. Born in London (a poorer part).
We moved out to Reading when I was about 14, so that was a massive disruption to my social circle and schooling.
I didn't get to see any major bands live - when I left home, with low pay, and rented accommodation I couldn't afford it!
I knew of Alan Holdsworth, but found him rather extreme for my tastes.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

folderol wrote:

Born in London (a poorer part).

I just had a vision of someone pronouncing the word "yoshimi" with a cockney accent.

This may be an acid flashback..

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.