My new audio server (Warning: Humor)

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: My new audio server (Warning: Humor)

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

I don't know how anyone could make Audio servers particularly funny, I took the warning as 'not a serious debate topic' rather than 'beware of rib breakage from laughter' kind of thing..

On one hand I would say this being Backstage with its disclaimer title isn't really going to be apparently visible to a forum newbie and perhaps there should be a sub-forum for debates or intellectual sparring (with appropriate guardrails) that would keep some of the now constant squabbling out of the main topics because in my opinion that is getting to be a real problem but also people with no connection to the OP topic at all on posting 'just because' is a very different but also degrading of quality problem we're facing here.

A agree with @nils this is becoming a tiring place to visit on the daily, I had been away for a while and coming back this week has been an eye-opener. When I see someone new like @Carl Irwin(as a recent example) post very generally helpful and well prepared material and watch that degenerate so quickly into an off-topic mess we are generally going to (a) lose and (b) not likely to gain future valuable contributors.

Last edited by GMaq on Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:25 pm

I see your like, sysqrer

I'm waiting for you to post the humor aspect. Your spiralling is like driving past a car crash.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

sysrqer wrote:

like driving past a car crash.

When you do that, it's called a "hit and run", sy.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Yes, back stage is a perfect place for this post. But the barrage of responses and replies that follow have nothing to do with the thread topic and only displays adversity to a new or established forum member and is tiring. It's gotten very old. I will continue to lock threads that descend into such pointless back and forth posts.

Edit: I have made this point to many of you already. Please keep in mind that we are all here because of Linux audio. Your experience and knowledge in this area brings value to the forum. Please keep that in mind when you post in other areas of the forum. If it's not helpful or knowledgeable on the topic it may not need to be posted.

-Matt :D

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Are we done? I'm feeling sad now. Hug me, artix.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

MattKingUSA wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Yes, back stage is a perfect place for this post. But the barrage of responses and replies that follow have nothing to do with the thread topic and only displays adversity to a new or established forum member and is tiring. It's gotten very old. I will continue to lock threads that descend into such pointless back and forth posts.

Edit: I have made this point to many of you already. Please keep in mind that we are all here because of Linux audio. Your experience and knowledge in this area brings value to the forum. Please keep that in mind when you post in other areas of the forum. If it's not helpful or knowledgeable on the topic it may not need to be posted.

and it starts again immediately. Keep doing as you are doing but don't expect that to change anything.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I just want everyone to consider how important your contributions are to the further development and general use of audio software on Linux.

Important discussions happen here and it would be a shame if the focus were lost.

Every user of the forum brings value as a user, developer, contributor etc.

With that in mind I'm sure you can understand how frustrating it is to see space on the forums being taken by conversations of no value. Not so much in off topic. But in important areas of the forums.

That's where I'm coming from on the issue. I'm meant to moderate the forums against spam for the most part. It's a sad thing when high knowledge users make posts that, in the past, I would just remove as spam and remove the account. It's really too bad to see.

-Matt :D

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I don't want to get too serious here, because this is a comedy thread (and anyone who's expecting anything else is a mensa card-carrying genius who inexplicably bought a ticket expecting to see the Three Stooges perform Othello).

But when you've seen enough folks struggle just to make it through one more oppressively soul-crushing day, you'll hopefully realize that there is absolutely no gah'dam f---ing thing more important than a laugh, and it doesn't matter how it comes or where it goes. But if somehow life has failed to reveal this simple truth to anyone, then I do pity him, but not enough to refrain from telling him to F--- off.

Now fetch me the whoopie cushion, you miserably dour, joy-raping, xerox-copied mannekins.

And where's that hug, artix?

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix,

Type something in your native language. Is it Malay?

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Largos wrote:

Everyone else must adjust These puerile interactions are what it wants. Better that they be on these threads and not ruining other people's.

Are you talking to yourself, or is this the opening lines of some fanfiction?

If the latter, I want to play the over-the-top, abrasively smug, mass-murdering James Bond villain role. I was born for it.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

hard to follow the discussion.

If I knew where you're from, I could translate the cultural references to something more familiar to you.

For example, if you told me you were canadian, I'd tell you that a whoopie cushion is something that sounds like Justin Beiber vomiting on stage.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

you are doing your job well

Thanks. Still waiting for that hug.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix,

Do you like martial arts films? I'm watching this chinese movie about rival karate crossdressers. It stars RuPaul, and it's called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Drag Queen. Oh this is my favorite scene! They have a lip sync battle to the dialogue in a Bruce Lee film.