Getting paid!

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Getting paid!

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Largos wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:44 pm

your xenophobic boomer bullshit

Oh dear, I'm so not woke.

Thank god for Jimmy Carr. At least british comedy will exist while he's still alive.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:54 pm
Largos wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:44 pm

your xenophobic boomer bullshit

Oh dear, I'm so not woke.

Thank god for Jimmy Carr. At least british comedy will exist while he's still alive.

Mentioning talented people doesn't put you on their level. Whether they be comedians or driver programmers. Really don't need you to derail every thread with your incessant shitposting just because you like to be the proverbial big fish in the small bowl.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Largos wrote:

you like to be the big fish in the small bowl.

Of course! Unlike you, I don't want to be the small fish in the big bowl, because eventually someone's going to flush the big bowl.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I was just wondering. No need to get upset. I like talking to people from places that I don't normally get much info via american media. For example, we never hear anything about Malaysia and that area. I recently watched a documentary about the Pinyin input method that solved the problem of adapting computer keyboard to languages like Chinese that have many symbols. It was fascinating. And saved China from being shut out of the computer revolution. It's interesting how languages and cultures merge, adapt, assimilate, differ, etc.

For example, germans are at this time, pretty much bilingual with english as their second language. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a german under 50 who doesn't speak/write english. If a german is verbally good at it, then he's indistinguishable from an american. I used to speak to a guy from a computer company once a month. After at least half a year, I just happened to ask him where in the USA he was from, and he answered "I'm german.". He had absolutely no hint of a german inflection. I'll bet at least half the non-english posters here are from germany. Most germans can write english at least as well as an average american. Khz and tramp are pretty good at it. I was reading tramp's posts for a year, thinking he was usa, until I noticed he had his location as germany.

Other germanic influenced languages, such as Danish, Austrian, and Swedish also tend to be adept at english. (Well english is strongly influenced by german, thanks to the Saxons).

OTOH, you don't often see french speakers in english forums. They prefer to stick with french only.

One thing that surprised me was how much Portugese sounds like Russian to my ear. You would think it would sound like spanish, but I don't hear much of a similarity.

BTW, guess what the language linguists most often cite as the most difficult to speak? Korean.

And did you know that Taiwanese has two different ways to speak/write many of their words, making it one of the hardest languages to write? There's an interesting story behind that.