Sitala no more Linux support

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Sitala no more Linux support

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

every Win Musician knows in what dir to drop those.

The Trashcan?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:18 am

[...]
I initially tried presenting a graphical interface to interact with the enduser using the "dialog" utility. But that proved to be troublesome. So my installer is text-based, needs to be set executable, and needs to be run from a terminal window. No way I know of to simplify it any further without troubles.

It works. But compared to the ease and efficiency of installing software on Windows, MacOS, iOS, android, etc, this approach is about as graceful as Rosanne Barr falling down a flight of stairs.

To me it doesn't get any easier on the eye and user friendly than this (again, software like Office suites that require a lot of config benefit from a package, and no: not flatpack or something):

There is no arguing about taste. :wink: Script can be found on pastebin: pastebin.com/zRL7gz5c. If I'm not mistaken it does not contain any code for the Menu itself that will not run in any version of Bash. Maybe handy as inspiration for you. I nicked the "menu" trick from somebody who's website does not exist anymore. I used to use Xdialog for my shell scripts (had to compile it from source). Since Gnome3 that won't work: bye bye shell scripts.

Last time (years ago, I have to admit) I saw a Mac user extract a Zip file in a graphical window it showed a sub-window with all the command line code flying by. Never heard Mac-ers complain about that. :wink:

novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:18 am

... the ease and efficiency of installing software on Windows, MacOS, iOS, android, etc, ...

The funny thing is, that most of that "ease" relies on the fact that this software then conforms to some package format like .apk.
Those "App Stores" one consults are essentially the same as the repositories of your linux distribution.
If one reads the announcement of that plugin company closely, it is quite clear, the sole reason to abandon the linux builds is the lack of financial revenue.
If it were they would make, say 40% revenue out of their linux customers (given Slackware, Arch, Suse and Debian in parity), they would probably provide .tgz, .rpm, .deb and $whatever_that_arch_thing_is with a smile on their face.

There is no need to fantasies about some sort of technical issues or missing "standards".