The Problem with Film Music, Part II

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Carl Irwin
Established Member

The Problem with Film Music, Part II

Post by Carl Irwin »

As a follow-up to the earlier video essay/discussion in the forum:

https://youtu.be/Ff_BsphtIUU

Enjoy!

-Carl

shimpe
Established Member

Re: The Problem with Film Music, Part II

Post by shimpe »

Some random thoughts:

• Some people think that film music should not draw the attention and just add color/mood/atmosphere. A very different style from the Danny Elfman era of movies but not by definition worse. Minimal music has risen to popularity also outside the film world so I guess it has some merit on its own - e.g. I think the "Canto Ostinato" by Simeon Ten Holt is a masterpiece, with several moments of catharsis (spread over the course of its 90 minutes). The point I'm trying to make is that ostinatos are not by definition bad music.

• At the same time, when hearing what songs are promoted into hits on the radio it would appear that the music landscape as a whole is collapsing into repetitive cliches (the eternal four chord songs e.g.). I consider this a sad evolution because it creates a downward spiral in which more and more of the same is getting produced - and as listeners get exposed to more of the same and less other things, their ears close to more adventurous music.

• Ostinatos that don't go anywhere will soon (if not already) be written "for free" by AI systems, devaluing the art and craft of music writing. In world that optimizes everything for short-term monetary gain only, I'm afraid the winter of arts is coming (and in the future might survive only as enthusiastic hobbyists keep it alive?)