How to split the midi output from Rosegarden?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

miuzik
Established Member

How to split the midi output from Rosegarden?

Post by miuzik »

I don't know the title reflects my doubt so I explain my possible workflow. I want to use Rosegarden as principal MIDI sequencer and Carla as to rack of synths. Well, I need send the signal of each Rosegarden's track to only one synth (one track to one synth), but in Qjackctl's graph I can only see one midi output from Rosegarden and to the end I have a weird mix of sounds because all synths play all midi tracks from Rosegarden. I don't find info about Rosegarden so maybe somebody here (e.g @folderol) can help me.

folderol
Established Member

Re: How to split the midi output from Rosegarden?

Post by folderol »

It's quite possible. I used to do it all the time with three synths and a mixture of tracks.
First you need to check "Manage MIDI Devices". In the MIDI Playback section all your destinations should appear, but hardware ones will carry the channel numbers rather than names (you can rename them to something meaningful).
Then in the main window "Track Parameters" set the appropriate Device.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

folderol wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:08 am

but hardware ones will carry the channel numbers rather than names

I'm talking about soft synths via Carla host. The new question is: How to connect Carla's synths to individual tracks on Rosegarden?

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

If Carla is sending them out via LV2 then Rosegarden won't see them as it doesn't support LV2, otherwise if Carla is sending out proper individual MIDI channels Rosegarden should see them simply as ID'd ones.

miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

I run Carla (Standalone version) and load some synths (e.g Tyrell, Podolski) and in the patchbay I can see that each synth has a midi input.Then run Rosegarden and in "Midi devices" I can't see the synths of Carla. Maybe Rosegarden can't manage that configuration.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Then I suspect Carla is only accepting LV2 - that's what you need to discover. Is the MIDI switchable to ALSA?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

miuzik wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:36 am

I run Carla (Standalone version) and load some synths (e.g Tyrell, Podolski) and in the patchbay I can see that each synth has a midi input.Then run Rosegarden and in "Midi devices" I can't see the synths of Carla. Maybe Rosegarden can't manage that configuration.

Are you running Carla in "multi client mode"? In that case each plugin gets its in- and outputs exposed to the system (if you run jack). In the screenshot you see Odin2 and Dexed (lv2's loaded in Carla) in QJackCtl's patchbay.

Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-07-01 12-13-49.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-01 12-13-49.png (42.72 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

@Impostor my Carla's patchbay is the same. The problem is Rosegarden, in it you can't see the soft syhtns that I load in Carla.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

miuzik wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:47 pm

@Impostor my Carla's patchbay is the same. The problem is Rosegarden, in it you can't see the soft syhtns that I load in Carla.

If Rosegarden is not jack-midi aware then it won't see the jack-midi ports created by Carla. (Carla has a Jack Audio + Alsa Midi engine setting, but I get no Alsa Midi ports at all when using this, so it may be a broken feature.)

Then you probably need to use a2jmidid in some capacity or other to make the desired connections.

Or, instead of using Carla, use another DAW where you load the plugins, and feed it Alsa Midi from Rosegarden.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

The way I use Rosegarden it effectively is the DAW. It can handle multiple (ALSA) MIDI sources and destinations, as well as basic audio recording and playback via JACK, also handling LADSPA plugins.

Before now I've had it controlling two soft-synth, Hydrogen, two hardware synths, as well as playing back a recorded guitar track.

P.S.
It's still under active development, so why don't you ask for LV2 support, or (as there is currently only one dev. working on it) see if you can tempt one of the LV2 gurus to help out.