Introduction & Suggestions

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

diosphere

Introduction & Suggestions

Post by diosphere »

Hello everyone!! :)
I am Diosphere (27 years old music enthusiast and producer), new to the Linux Musicians forum. I registered especially because I started to use Muse for my music production in my home studio and I really wanted to be part of this community and help in any way possible if I can.
I use Linux almost 4 years (started with Mint, and then Arch, and now finally settled on OpenSuse Leap, but that's story is for another time :lol:) Primarily I was focused on Ardour as my go-to DAW. But now, I switched to Muse for all of my productivity and creativity related to music. I found that somehow Muse is more interesting, minimalistic but at the same time with lots of features. Its easy to navigate and keep organized. The best part, which is very unique and only can be found in Muse is the philosophy behind all these different tracks. Same as in the Linux file-system where everything is a file, here in Muse everything is a track. And the little window when we right-click to add new track is just priceless. :D I also like the two Mixer windows, we can easily set Mixer A for inputs,outputs,groups and aux tracks, and Mixer B for midi, drum, and synth tracks (just as an example).
In this post I wanted to briefly introduce myself as a new member, and write about some suggestions (maybe for something which can be a future implementation or fix in Muse). I noticed these things while I was using the software. Keep in mind, these are of course just ideas. I had more then one, that's why I thought this will be the appropriate place to post. Feel free to write your own opinion and maybe introduce yourself too in the comments down below. :D

1.) In the mixer: option for making multiple selected strips bigger (wider) all at ones (with one click). If they are selected, and then when we try to make one strip wider, others should follow.

1.gif
1.gif (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

2.) Maybe a command-line option for running Muse in full screen (Ctrl+F) at startup.

Code: Select all

muse4 --fullscreen

3.) Make all plug-ins to be always at top (even if we use Muse in full screen mode) so that we can click in Muse and work with something else while the plug-in is still open and in front of us.

4.) Option (maybe in the global menu) for hiding the Recently Used plug-ins or maybe this should be like a drop-down menu something similar to the Favourite drop-down menu. That way we'll have more clean and minimal look when we try to add new track or synth by right clicking. In my opinion this little list when we right-click to add new track is one of the reasons why Muse is different and more unique then other similar software.

4.gif
4.gif (26.16 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

5.) Shortcut for View/Clip List (maybe Shift+F9)
So if we want to see the Markers and Clips all together we can click F9 (for Markers) and Shift+F9 (for Clips)

6.) The ability to delete all notes in Piano Roll but keep only the selected. (Maybe this option should be in Functions/Erase Events/Range--> Non-selected Events)

6.gif
6.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

7.) The ability to Render Downmix to a file in --> .flac format. So that we can send tracks to people which will be smaller in size (less MBs) but at the sometime with lossless quality. This could be beneficial for instance when we want someone to hear a demo song, or an example track, just for testing purposes, or maybe for having those tracks in there phones. Smaller size is more suitable for that situation.

8.) More zooming for the drum track so that we can draw notes easily or maybe these notes (with pyramid shape) should be bigger. Right now...the size of the notes in the drum track is smaller then the mouse cursor.

9.) Fix on the slow horizontal scrolling (when we are zoomed in and we hold Shift+Middle Mouse to scroll) in the Piano Roll. Right now, when we try to scroll in the Piano Roll (when zoomed in) it's too slow...(that's why I use the Pan tool every time I want to move left and right when zoomed in).

Again, these are just ideas. What do you think? :)

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Introduction & Suggestions

Post by Impostor »

Options are fine as long as you can ignore them:)

I think that the 'synths' menu could use some work. Especially since all lv2 plugins are shown under 'effects', even if they're synths. Some more ordering there would be welcome. What new feature I would like to see most though, is vst3 and clap support. Oh, and midi plugin support!

But most of alI, I'd simply prefer that crash-causing bugs get squashed. The rest I can live with, or without.

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

lorde wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:28 am

Hello Diosphere, welcome to the Linux Musicians...

Huh, are there bots here now? sigh

In any case, out of time, I wanted to comment on the original post but I need to leave a cliffhanger until tomorrow... ;)

MusE DAW
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

spamatica wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:48 pm

Ah! I found lorde's post so weird I was tempted to give it a sarcastic reply. But maybe it's just a chattery bot indeed! Makes sense.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Impostor wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:43 pm

I think that the 'synths' menu could use some work. Especially since all lv2 plugins are shown under 'effects', even if they're synths.

Well, apparently this quirk fixed itself somehow. Maybe because I've installed a few packages which were required to build fluida.lv2 and j.e.f.f.g.'s instrument pack. Odd, since I run MusE's appimage, but I'm not complaining.

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Impostor wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:37 pm
spamatica wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:48 pm

Ah! I found lorde's post so weird I was tempted to give it a sarcastic reply. But maybe it's just a chattery bot indeed! Makes sense.

yup, chatbot for hiding spam :( . I removed it, along with its posts.