Audio Interface with MPC One

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

idek

Audio Interface with MPC One

Post by idek »

Hi there,

I'm new to this board and I've being searching for some answers on audio interface with the MPC. Since that MPC one is based on a linux OS so I was wondering if someone here owns a MPC one and uses any of these working audio interface below. As these interface are said to work in Linux. The OS on the Akai is 2.11.7.

• Native Instruments Komplete Audio Mk1 (the silver one)
  • M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (it’s stated to work on linux)
  • Lexicon Omega
  • Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Bascially I'm looking for a 4 in 4 out interface and these are all small format interface and due to space and budget constraints, I'm looking for these used products.

would appreciate any advice or suggestions too!

Thanks!

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Audio Interface with MPC One

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Some of the audio interfaces that you mention work on Linux with some "effort" like a driver of configuration software if I'm not mistaken. The MPC One's firmware or OS might be based on Linux but that might not mean that everything Linux will work on it... Remember: Android has a Linux kernel too, and nothing Linux will work on a damn Android phone.

I think you might have more luck in a dedicated MPC One forum.

Anyaway, a nice 4 in 4 out USB class compliant audio interface might be the Behringer UMD404HD (though I find €166 too much for it). But beware. Behringer recently revised the hardware a little bit. The latest revision only works with the newest Linux kernels. So even if some people on a MPC forum say that it works for them you might be out of luck.

Good luck making music! :)

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Does the built in audio interface on the MPC One work when plugged into a Linux computer?

Any connection between the MPC One and a 4x4 or larger interface will be analogue through the 1/4" IN/OUT jacks so any audio interface that will work in Linux will work with the MPC One. Behringer as mentioned, Focusrite, Presonus ... as long as it says USB Class Compliant for Mac and doesn't need special software to configure settings on the device should be fine. There are a lot of options. Not all will have midi connectors to link the MPC One though.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@idek,

The MPC One docs state about the USB-B port on the rear panel:

USB-B Port: Use the included USB cable to connect this high-retention-MPC One USB port to an available USB
port on your computer. This connection allows MPC One to send/receive MIDI and audio data to/from the MPC software on your computer.

Given the need to run the "MPC software" on the host computer, my guess is that the device does not function as a class-complient USB audio interface, nor as a class-compliant MIDI-over-USB controller, but I could be wrong. There is no Linux version of that software visible: I'd bet a dollar to a donut that the Windows version won't work properly under Wine. I would be more than happy to be proved wrong in either case.

OTOH, connecting up the audio and MIDI ports from the MPC One to another audio interface should be very straightforward: just use the normal cables, and take care that the "MIDI In" port of the MPC One is connected to the "MIDI Out" port of your interface, and vice versa.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
idek

Post by idek »

Well I just got my hands on a 2nd hand lexicon omega and hooked it up, sadly getting distortion, clicks and pops on playback.
So that one doesn't work, because Akai updated to its newer firmware and broke everything else, as the Omega is 'class compliant'. I tried it with an ipad and it works just fine.
Also strangely the omega was recognized as USB 1 instead of usb 2?? and I didn't realized that the digital output are not extra inputs but rather routed to inputs 1+2, which is a bummer for me. I would kindof prefer at least 6 channels in.

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:33 am

I think you might have more luck in a dedicated MPC One forum.

Anyaway, a nice 4 in 4 out USB class compliant audio interface might be the Behringer UMD404HD (though I find €166 too much for it). But beware. Behringer recently revised the hardware a little bit. The latest revision only works with the newest Linux kernels. So even if some people on a MPC forum say that it works for them you might be out of luck.

yes I've been trying to get a reply. either the people there are also frustrated with the new updates breaking all the once-working interface or they are also at their wits end.

The forum also mentioned that a focusrite 6i6 1st gen works but now it doesn't.

Yes I'm able to get the MPC recognised on my mac but not the interface attached to it.

well thanks for all your reply. Now I get a better understand of the linux kernal on the mpc.
thanks!