How to render a midi file using DrumGizmo and the cli

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

RAiN-Drum
Established Member

How to render a midi file using DrumGizmo and the cli

Post by RAiN-Drum »

Hi All,
I would love to use DrumGizmo to render midi files using the cli. Even if I managed to install drumgizmo I fail to render something using this tuto. Could somene help me to render this midi into something like this which use fluidsynth and the Black_pearl_5.1-1 soundfont?
Best,
R

Sculpting noise into music

deva
Established Member

Re: How to render a midi file using DrumGizmo and the cli

Post by deva »

If you could supply the command you used when you tried to make the render, that would be most useful.
Also, note that drumgizmo does not support soundfonts, so you cannot use the black pearl kit. Instead consider trying the DRSKit from the drumgizmo website which I think should have some of the same qualities as the pearl kit.

RAiN-Drum
Established Member

Post by RAiN-Drum »

I managed to use my first kit with the foillowing command:

drumgizmo -i midifile -I file=metal.mid,midimap=Midimap_small.xml -o wavfile -O file=prefix CrocellKit_small.xml .

However, it seems that the renderer does not use the set tempo messages from the midi file I managed to have the right tempo by tweaking the number of ticks per beat but the interbeat time interval does not influence how fast the thing is played. Also I wondered how I could set all the randomness to zero as I do it in the midi file already

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I think, that if the midifile does not contain the tempo information in the way that the library expects, it willd efault to 120bpm.
You can then set a speed multiplier on the commandline using the 'speed' parameter:

Code: Select all

drumgizmo -i midifile -I file=metal.mid,midimap=Midimap_small.xml,speed=1.2 -o wavfile -O file=prefix CrocellKit_small.xml .

Here, setting it to 1.2 would result in a speed of 120bpm * 1.2 => 144bpm

I hope this helps.

On another note: We have libmidifile support on the roadmap. But haven't started implementing it yet. Perhaps that has different/better support for tempomaps than libsmf (the one we currently use) has.

RAiN-Drum
Established Member

Post by RAiN-Drum »

Hi,
Thank you for the help it solved the problem (even if the source was not what I thought). Here is a first rendering. The result is quite amazing. All the code I used is in the git (need for a serious readme but eveything is here apart from the CrocelKit.
Best,
R

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

That sounds great :-)

What did you do to post-process the output (ie. dowmix) the resulting wav file to stereo?

Edit: A quick comment on the composition. In the part start starts at https://youtu.be/JMnSWSSp9fg?t=108 is it the intension to keep the beat on the crash-cymbal? Normally I think the ride-cymbal would be the one used.

RAiN-Drum
Established Member

Post by RAiN-Drum »

Thank you! I had good and funny feedbacks. Someone told me on a python discord that me playing the drum had nothing to do with the server :) another told me that I was clever with my feet (I barely walk:)

kinda agree with you, I used the crash cymbal mostly based on the advice on drumeo (website to learn drum).

Today I am going to post new videos on some new learned rudiments.