midi sessions

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

funkmuscle
Established Member

midi sessions

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if you guys are going to do like every other or a good amount of drum plugins do where they have beat samples are rhythm sessions. I don't know if I'm asking the right question here but usually a folder where they are midi drum rhythms that's in different categories like pop, rock, metal, country and so on and you'll have little sample beats that you can put together.

I assume that you guys are drummers so I'm just wondering if that's somewhere down the road. I checked the road map and I don't think I saw anything like that at your website. I usually will either grab the free stuff from groove monkey or free beats online but the majority of the times I just start from scratch. I'm not a drummer so I would just listen to a song and try to figure out what the drummer is doing and I would program that in to use in my song.

I just thought that it would elevate your plugin to the next level if it actually came with that. You know a little section with fills a little section with intros and so on. I usually hate asking or requesting things because you guys got a life and you're doing this for free so I always feel guilty so it's not a request it was just an idea.

I see a lot of people asking for drum kits without the bleeding and I just don't understand that. Yes it's not easy trying to clean that up but when you put it together it sounds so well glued together compared to other programs out there where there's no bleeding. I always feel something is lacking and they never sound authentic.

Everything that I've played to friends where I've used your drum kits, I'm asked who's the drummer and I would say it's just program and they would say oh no we hear program drums before and it's just too clean but this one sounds like it drummer because you can hear all the little nuances here and there. I guess a lot of the dudes and ladies here probably do a lot of dance music where you don't want to have that bleed but in rock and metal especially the room tracks for me is a must.

Sorry I went off topic there but is a thought that's in my head because I saw as I was looking through the suggestions someone was asking for non-bleed kits. I used to want that until I started to teach myself how to clean up the sound and I could never go to the non-blade because they just don't sound real to me. Even if it's acoustic samples.

That's just my personal taste and from the reaction of those who have played the songs for.
In fact a few of those songs, now that I have a real drummer, I've got him to replay the drums using his kid with microphones and the room and all that and when I play them beside each other call me even that drummer says man that sounds like a real kit and I would say no it's a free plugin out there.

tavasti
Established Member

Re: midi sessions

Post by tavasti »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 pm

I see a lot of people asking for drum kits without the bleeding and I just don't understand that. Yes it's not easy trying to clean that up but when you put it together it sounds so well glued together compared to other programs out there where there's no bleeding. I always feel something is lacking and they never sound authentic.

Everything that I've played to friends where I've used your drum kits, I'm asked who's the drummer and I would say it's just program and they would say oh no we hear program drums before and it's just too clean but this one sounds like it drummer because you can hear all the little nuances here and there. I guess a lot of the dudes and ladies here probably do a lot of dance music where you don't want to have that bleed but in rock and metal especially the room tracks for me is a must.

Sorry I went off topic there but is a thought that's in my head because I saw as I was looking through the suggestions someone was asking for non-bleed kits. I used to want that until I started to teach myself how to clean up the sound and I could never go to the non-blade because they just don't sound real to me. Even if it's acoustic samples.

I am most likely the one who has suggested for non-bleeding versions, to save disk, memory and possibly cpu. Yeah, in real drums snare bleeds to everywhere, and there is plugins for cleaning it up, for example Harrison XT-TG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Nbf2Jk3pg

And when talking about non-bleeding kit, I do not mean leaving out room/ambiance, or leave kick/snare out from overheads. Just that it is not needed to have all 16 channels on every sample.

But sure it is matter of taste. There is plenty of people who want sound of 70s, and I personally would love some artists there, but hate those sounds. I am not nostalgy driven at all, for me modern stuff is good. Yeah, and I am rock/metal oriented mostly. I suppose nobody is using plugins like DG for EDM :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

tavasti wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:44 pm

I am most likely the one who has suggested for non-bleeding versions, to save disk, memory and possibly cpu. Yeah, in real drums snare bleeds to everywhere, and there is plugins for cleaning it up, for example Harrison XT-TG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Nbf2Jk3pg

And when talking about non-bleeding kit, I do not mean leaving out room/ambiance, or leave kick/snare out from overheads. Just that it is not needed to have all 16 channels on every sample.

But sure it is matter of taste. There is plenty of people who want sound of 70s, and I personally would love some artists there, but hate those sounds. I am not nostalgy driven at all, for me modern stuff is good. Yeah, and I am rock/metal oriented mostly. I suppose nobody is using plugins like DG for EDM :-)

I agree that saving CPU and/or disc-space could be a valid argument for creating non-bleed versions of the kits, but as for the cleaning up in mixing, this is precisely what the bleed-slider is for.

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if you guys are going to do like every other or a good amount of drum plugins do where they have beat samples are rhythm sessions. I don't know if I'm asking the right question here but usually a folder where they are midi drum rhythms that's in different categories like pop, rock, metal, country and so on and you'll have little sample beats that you can put together.

I assume that you guys are drummers so I'm just wondering if that's somewhere down the road. I checked the road map and I don't think I saw anything like that at your website. I usually will either grab the free stuff from groove monkey or free beats online but the majority of the times I just start from scratch. I'm not a drummer so I would just listen to a song and try to figure out what the drummer is doing and I would program that in to use in my song.

I just thought that it would elevate your plugin to the next level if it actually came with that. You know a little section with fills a little section with intros and so on. I usually hate asking or requesting things because you guys got a life and you're doing this for free so I always feel guilty so it's not a request it was just an idea.

You are not the first one to ask this :-)
We have tried to make DG according to the UNIX philosophy - do one thing and do it well - and supplying a collection of midifiles is currently considered out-of-scope for the core functionality of DG.
I do agree though, that it is a useful tool for many composers, so having perhaps another application/plugin supplying these snippets would make good sense.

That said, constructing these midi-snippets and making them available in a form that would make them useful, is a huge undertaking, so I'm afraid it is not something we will be doing in the immediate future.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Ok makes sense. Thanks everyone for your replies.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Sorry, I forgot to ask if the new kits are still in the works?

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

funkmuscle wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:30 pm

Sorry, I forgot to ask if the new kits are still in the works?

They are, although progress is really slow at the moment (aka, nobody is working actively on any of them) - but they will arrive eventually :-)