LinVST and Valhalla Supermassive?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

v1s1n
Established Member

LinVST and Valhalla Supermassive?

Post by v1s1n »

I've seen a couple folks mentioning their success installing supermassive via LinVST, but I can't seem to get it to work. Reaper hangs when I try to load the .so file it outputs. Anyone having the same issue/any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT: Tried the vst3 version as well, same issue. Could it have something to do with SDK?
Last edited by v1s1n on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: LinVST and Valhalla Supermassive?

Post by tavasti »

Yabridge is best you can get on running win plugins. Supermassive works for me with carla and yabridge.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Supermassive works for me with LinVST in Carla and/or Mixbus. Haven't tried in Reaper.
Do you get error messages? Where do you have Supermassive installed? I moved the .dll to ~/.vst
I think LinVST is a bit fussy about WINE version also, which do you have? I still use winehq-stable v 6.0.2
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

v1s1n wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 pm I've seen a couple folks mentioning their success installing supermassive via LinVST, but I can't seem to get it to work. Reaper hangs when I try to load the .so file it outputs. Anyone having the same issue/any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT: Tried the vst3 version as well, same issue. Could it have something to do with SDK?
It works ok with LinVst.

In fact I've just been doing some heavy automation testing using Valhalla Delay and LinVst.

Always try to use the latest LinVst version (if you want to use LinVst), 4.7 at the moment.

I think your problem might be a setup problem or a wine problem.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Any vst bridge can't magically fix inherent Wine problems or someones system that might have some corrupted files in the wine prefix or even dll override clashes or whatever.

I would say a hit rate of 70% of plugins running is a pretty good outcome considering Wines inherent limitations.

Blame Wine and the system config before starting to blame the vst bridges.

Sometimes it might be the vst bridge, but they are not static and can change with new versions.

I've had some crazy things happening with some well known plugins due to bugs from the plugins Window programmers.

These bugs are ok with real Windows (although maybe not with new versions like Windows 11), because Windows has fix code that allows some bugs to operate ok, but Wine doesn't, so when the plugin is run under Wine the vst bugs can cause crashes and whatever.

I've seen that happen more than once with well known Windows plugins.
v1s1n
Established Member

Post by v1s1n »

Fixed! Updating wine to latest was the problem. I think I was running the one in the ubuntu repos without thinking about it before (5.x something) and updating to 7.0 fixed the issue. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, all!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

v1s1n wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:53 am Fixed! Updating wine to latest was the problem. I think I was running the one in the ubuntu repos without thinking about it before (5.x something) and updating to 7.0 fixed the issue. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, all!
Good stuff! Supermassive is great for those huge reverbs, and I've gotten some nice short ones out of it too. Often I'll use Dragonfly instead which is Linux native, the Hall reverb can produce some really good huge reverbs too.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

ubuntuuser wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:20 am Any vst bridge can't magically fix inherent Wine problems or someones system that might have some corrupted files in the wine prefix or even dll override clashes or whatever.
They can at least help try diagnose the problem. Yabridge and yabridgectl have a suite of diagnostics to help you get up and running faster.
ubuntuuser wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:20 am Sometimes it might be the vst bridge, but they are not static and can change with new versions.
I don't think yabridge has ever had a regression that caused plugins to no longer work, just sayin'. ;)
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 am
ubuntuuser wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:20 am Any vst bridge can't magically fix inherent Wine problems or someones system that might have some corrupted files in the wine prefix or even dll override clashes or whatever.
They can at least help try diagnose the problem. Yabridge and yabridgectl have a suite of diagnostics to help you get up and running faster.
ubuntuuser wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:20 am Sometimes it might be the vst bridge, but they are not static and can change with new versions.
I don't think yabridge has ever had a regression that caused plugins to no longer work, just sayin'. ;)
Whatever.

I have no idea how your diagnostics can detect Wine install problems, and general users are not coders that debug things.

Anyway I'll give you points for self promotion.