[SOLVED] Buying first audio interface next week, need help to choose which one

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

REIS0
Established Member

[SOLVED] Buying first audio interface next week, need help to choose which one

Post by REIS0 »

So as the title says, next week I'm planning to get my first audio interface, but I'm currently in doubt which one of the options I should get:
  • Behringer UMC202HD - R$656 (~ USD 116)
  • Mackie Onyx Producer 2.2 - R$741 (~ USD 131)
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - R$1.213 (~ USD 215)
I didn't planned to include the Scarlett but after some recommendations decided to take into consideration, if anyone have any other to check I also appreciate, just need to support stereo recording.
Last edited by REIS0 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Buying first audio interface next week, need help to choose which one

Post by Michael Willis »

I bought a scarlett device mostly because it is red.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

I'm very happy with my Behringer UMC204HD which I believe is identical to the UMC202HD with the addition of two extra outputs.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

You might like to try/test/check the Tascam US-2x2HR, I don't know about that model but it's supposedly the 2 channels version similar to their 4 chan US-4x4HR model whch I have and am very content of (aamof since I had a Scarlett 2i4 1st gen I loved and needed a 4 chan. I tried the Scarlett 3d gen 4i4 with good confidence but hen found out that 4i4 3d gen was a laugh (at best a downgraded toy), I believe it's the exception in the 3d gen series the other models (as 8i6 or 2i2) are serious stuff but I didn't check :)
So, now you had my advice based on a 1st gen card you can't get anymore, a tascam 2chan I didn't test, and a new scarlett and tascam 4chans you don't need :D Hurray! Have fun!

(edited addup: since it was mentionned and it's an important decision factor, the Tascam US-nxn-HR are plug-n-play / class-compliant, at least for the 4x4 model I have I can confirm it is ;)
Last edited by Loki Harfagr on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

The Behringer is the cheapest and, as far as I know, does not need a driver to work in Linux (plug and play). The others, AFAIK, need you to jump through some loops to get 'm working, if they even work.

Choose wisely. :)
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I have a Behringer UMC404HD and I used to have a Focusrite solo. Side by side comparison I could not see any reason to pay more for a Focusrite. Perhaps with a much better microphone you may notice something, can't say for certain. I have a Rode NT1.

I'd like to try a Mackie or Presonus sometime. I've heard good things about their preamps. Most likely if I upgrade I would buy a high quality external microphone preamp and plug it in to my Delta 66.

Behringer is plug and play 100% and they openly support Linux. Focusrite has forced developers to reverse engineer and make special patches. They have been openly hostile to Linux.
REIS0
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Buying first audio interface next week, need help to choose which one

Post by REIS0 »

In the end I've decided to get the UMC202HD, thanks for the replies