I know two people who died from Sars-CoV-2, do you know anyone?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: I know two people who died from Sars-CoV-2, do you know anyone?

Post by CrocoDuck »

Gps wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm
merlyn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm
Gps wrote:Maybe I reading this too fast , because I am also eating but. 1200 a day times 7 makes 8400.
That even below the numbers of 2018 influenza numbers in the top graph. 13000.
You're possibly not getting the first graph. The sine wave is the baseline number of deaths per week. The red line is the deaths attributed to flu. So to get the number of flu deaths you must subtract the baseline. The Covid graph is simply the number of Covid deaths which is an underestimate because using techniques like the baseline statisticians will calculate the 'excess deaths' which is more accurate and more like the first graph.

One aspect is that flu peaks for a week. Covid just kept going and the points where the figures go down are where strict lockdowns were introduced.

So you were wrong.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... bruary2021

To me these numbers look around the same as the number of people who died in 2018.

Were is that pandemic?
I went to the link, downloaded the spreadsheet, which I linked for convenience. In order to figure out the number of total deaths in 2020/2021 I would say it is straightforward to sum the elements of the `All deaths in England - 2020/2021` columns. The value we obtain is 699471. Let's now do the same operation with the `England - Five-year average`. I think we can think of the result as "the baseline". We obtain 596617. The deaths in England, during 2020/2021, are above the five years average by 102854, a number that is interestingly in the same ballpark as the number of COVID-19 deaths in England, but let's not think too much of it for now. You will have noticed that there is also a `England - Maximum deaths over five years`. We can sum all of these values to obtain 635724, a number still smaller than deaths in 2020/2021, by 63747 to be exact, but now kinda more similar.

So, in any possible way the deaths in 2020/2021 are higher than the last 5 years aggregated figures. However, with the data presented in this table, I think we can do better. Of course, the number of deaths for each year is a random variable: that is why average and max are presented from the last five years. Can we try to figure out whether the 2020/2021 are anomalous with respect the previous 5 years baseline?

The information in the spreadsheets is somewhat limited: we do not know the statistical distribution. So we will need to pick one. We can start off with a Gaussian model. Gaussian models are a good starting point normally due to being a very common occurrence in nature. Let's start with that.

A Gaussian model is identified by two parameters: a mean and a standard deviation. We already have the mean: 596617. The standard deviation is not reported, but the max is. We can then use the Three-Sigma Rule: the probability a value has to be within three standard deviations from the mean is 99.73%. This means, in essence, that we can pick the three-sigma limit as a good figure for the maximum value. So, with that in mind, we set this equation:

Max - mean = 3 * sigma => sigma = (Max - mean) / 3

I.e. we extrapolated a figure for the standard deviation based on the distance between maximum value and mean. With reference on the five years average figures:

mean = 596617
Max = 635724

=> sigma = 13036

Good, we now have parametrized our Gaussian model. This Gaussian model describes then the death toll in "ordinary times", since it is based on the previous five years. Now we can pickup our figure for 2020/2021, which is 699471, and ask ourselves: is this value anomalous with respect our "ordinary times" model?

Or, in other words, if nothing has changed and everything is going exactly as in the preceding five years (which means that the death toll is described by our Gaussian model above), what is the probability of finding, by mere chance (or statistical fluctuation), a death toll equal or higher than 699471? This probability is quantified by integrating our reference distribution, of mean 596617 and standard deviation 13036, in the interval starting from 699471 up to infinity. Since this value, 699471, is 7.9 standard deviations away from 596617, this probability comes down to 0, essentially (it is a value so small it is not even in tables).

OK, so maybe we are being excessive. Lets' be way more permissive. Let's suppose the standard deviation is simply Max - mean = 39107. In this case the value reported for 2020/2021, 699471, is about 2.63 standard deviations from the mean. The probability of observing a value of death toll equal or larger than this would be in this case 0.43%.

So, pay attention to the conclusion now, as it is subtle: the death toll for 2020/2021, 699471 is, with respect any reasonable Guassian model extrapolated by the historical data of the preceding five years, so improbable that has to be considered anomalous. Or better: we fail to find evidence to support that the 2020/2021 death toll is compatible with the previous historical figures.

This, as I said, according to simple Gaussian models. Of course, the analysis can be made more accurate and sophisticated by using the entirety of the raw data and the actual probability distributions, as well as simulation techniques. However:
  • I would expect final results to be somewhat similar, as normally Gaussian models offer at least a first good approximation, and;
  • I'd say that there isn't a way to look at the data you propose and conclude that the death toll is the same as that of the previous years: all figures for 2020/2021 are in excess of the historic data, the gap from the average is similar to the value of observed COVID-19 deaths, and attempts at quantifying if they can be regarded as compatible with the previous years fail.
Of course, I know how thick I am so everybody please check and double check this as I would not be surprised if I have done some dumb mistake here. For those interested in this kind of analysis, if you know Italian, I really recommend this Textbook on Probability, Statistics and Simulation.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Just a small? extra detail. Due to lockdowns and mask wearing, the Flu deaths over this period have been dramatically lower than usual, so that also needs to be factored in somehow.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

folderol wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:44 pm Just a small? extra detail. Due to lockdowns and mask wearing, the Flu deaths over this period have been dramatically lower than usual, so that also needs to be factored in somehow.
I have not seen any scientific proof that any of those measurement do anything.

I have seen proof that mouthmask don't work. The simple reason is the "holes" are to big to stop a virus.

I also have seen stats that show that corona has replaced the flue. (with this I am not saying corona is flue)
What I have heard from people who do know allot more about this then me, that they don't know why this has happened.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I have seen proof that mouthmask don't work. The simple reason is the "holes" are to big to stop a virus.
Sorry to say that, but this is an often though wrong used argument.
The truth is: the current used masks aren't designed to stop the virus. They are designed to reduce aerosols and therefor reduce viruses when breathing out.

Ok, anyone else knowing somebody who died from Sars-CoV-2 / Covid19? :wink:

Edit:

Not much yet, so far - except the doctor.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

CrocoDuck wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 pm
Gps wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm
merlyn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm

You're possibly not getting the first graph. The sine wave is the baseline number of deaths per week. The red line is the deaths attributed to flu. So to get the number of flu deaths you must subtract the baseline. The Covid graph is simply the number of Covid deaths which is an underestimate because using techniques like the baseline statisticians will calculate the 'excess deaths' which is more accurate and more like the first graph.

One aspect is that flu peaks for a week. Covid just kept going and the points where the figures go down are where strict lockdowns were introduced.

So you were wrong.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... bruary2021

To me these numbers look around the same as the number of people who died in 2018.

Were is that pandemic?
I went to the link, downloaded the spreadsheet, which I linked for convenience. In order to figure out the number of total deaths in 2020/2021 I would say it is straightforward to sum the elements of the `All deaths in England - 2020/2021` columns. The value we obtain is 699471. Let's now do the same operation with the `England - Five-year average`. I think we can think of the result as "the baseline". We obtain 596617. The deaths in England, during 2020/2021, are above the five years average by 102854, a number that is interestingly in the same ballpark as the number of COVID-19 deaths in England, but let's not think too much of it for now. You will have noticed that there is also a `England - Maximum deaths over five years`. We can sum all of these values to obtain 635724, a number still smaller than deaths in 2020/2021, by 63747 to be exact, but now kinda more similar.

So, in any possible way the deaths in 2020/2021 are higher than the last 5 years aggregated figures. However, with the data presented in this table, I think we can do better. Of course, the number of deaths for each year is a random variable: that is why average and max are presented from the last five years. Can we try to figure out whether the 2020/2021 are anomalous with respect the previous 5 years baseline?

The information in the spreadsheets is somewhat limited: we do not know the statistical distribution. So we will need to pick one. We can start off with a Gaussian model. Gaussian models are a good starting point normally due to being a very common occurrence in nature. Let's start with that.

A Gaussian model is identified by two parameters: a mean and a standard deviation. We already have the mean: 596617. The standard deviation is not reported, but the max is. We can then use the Three-Sigma Rule: the probability a value has to be within three standard deviations from the mean is 99.73%. This means, in essence, that we can pick the three-sigma limit as a good figure for the maximum value. So, with that in mind, we set this equation:

Max - mean = 3 * sigma => sigma = (Max - mean) / 3

I.e. we extrapolated a figure for the standard deviation based on the distance between maximum value and mean. With reference on the five years average figures:

mean = 596617
Max = 635724

=> sigma = 13036

Good, we now have parametrized our Gaussian model. This Gaussian model describes then the death toll in "ordinary times", since it is based on the previous five years. Now we can pickup our figure for 2020/2021, which is 699471, and ask ourselves: is this value anomalous with respect our "ordinary times" model?

Or, in other words, if nothing has changed and everything is going exactly as in the preceding five years (which means that the death toll is described by our Gaussian model above), what is the probability of finding, by mere chance (or statistical fluctuation), a death toll equal or higher than 699471? This probability is quantified by integrating our reference distribution, of mean 596617 and standard deviation 13036, in the interval starting from 699471 up to infinity. Since this value, 699471, is 7.9 standard deviations away from 596617, this probability comes down to 0, essentially (it is a value so small it is not even in tables).

OK, so maybe we are being excessive. Lets' be way more permissive. Let's suppose the standard deviation is simply Max - mean = 39107. In this case the value reported for 2020/2021, 699471, is about 2.63 standard deviations from the mean. The probability of observing a value of death toll equal or larger than this would be in this case 0.43%.

So, pay attention to the conclusion now, as it is subtle: the death toll for 2020/2021, 699471 is, with respect any reasonable Guassian model extrapolated by the historical data of the preceding five years, so improbable that has to be considered anomalous. Or better: we fail to find evidence to support that the 2020/2021 death toll is compatible with the previous historical figures.

This, as I said, according to simple Gaussian models. Of course, the analysis can be made more accurate and sophisticated by using the entirety of the raw data and the actual probability distributions, as well as simulation techniques. However:
  • I would expect final results to be somewhat similar, as normally Gaussian models offer at least a first good approximation, and;
  • I'd say that there isn't a way to look at the data you propose and conclude that the death toll is the same as that of the previous years: all figures for 2020/2021 are in excess of the historic data, the gap from the average is similar to the value of observed COVID-19 deaths, and attempts at quantifying if they can be regarded as compatible with the previous years fail.
Of course, I know how thick I am so everybody please check and double check this as I would not be surprised if I have done some dumb mistake here. For those interested in this kind of analysis, if you know Italian, I really recommend this Textbook on Probability, Statistics and Simulation.
Let me start by saying I like your reply.

My point however was that the number of people dying during the flue pandamic? of 2018 are about the same as the number of people now dying from corona.

I don't like you taking an flue average, because we can't do that yet with corona. We probably can in a few years.

Do I think there is a conspiracy ? No I don't, certainly not as some suggest that corona does not exist.
Corona viruses are nothing new, covid 19 is new version though.

What I do believe is that most people, including most doctors and scientist, kinda panicked last year because of this new virus.
Fast forward to now, allot of doctors and scientist say: Thank god it was not as bad as we feared.

Our governments however (and the mainstream media), still are in that panic mode. Were all gonna die.
Why is a vaccine the only way out (I am quoting one of the assholes in my government) when everybody by now could know there are drugs that can help if you get covid.

HCQ with some more, or Ivermectin. Is it because the pharmaceutical companies, can't make much money from those drugs?

The media and the governments are not listening to the doctors and the scientist though, but do listen the pharmaceutical companies, who are not even liable if their vaccines cause side effects, and are making profits on the vaccines.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

TAERSH wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 pm
Sorry to say that, but this is an often though wrong used argument.
The truth is: the current used masks aren't designed to stop the virus. They are designed to reduce aerosols and therefor reduce viruses when breathing out.
We almost agree on this but still those aerosols are so small, they go though the mask we need to wear.
Something I learned during the last 12 months. Covid 19 is not spread by big drops, like when you sneeze or cough.
It's spread by aerosols, and those are so small the mask don´t help.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Another interesting quote full of truth just as a side note:

In der Wissenschaft irren wir uns empor!

It seems to be stated by Harald Lesch.
However, somehow it seems to be clever or wise to not to trust science blindly!
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

TAERSH wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:02 am
Another interesting quote full of truth just as a side note:

In der Wissenschaft irren wir uns empor!

It seems to be stated by Harald Lesch.
However, somehow it seems to be clever or wise to not to trust science blindly!
Finally we agree fully on something. :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Gps wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:47 pm It's spread by aerosols, and those are so small the mask don´t help.
Watch and learn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0zB904Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47t9qLc9I4

And why N95 masks are extra effective (it's not the size of the holes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdanPfQdCA
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Gps wrote:My point however was that the number of people dying during the flue pandamic? of 2018 are about the same as the number of people now dying from corona.
Your grasp of figures seems to be pretty poor. Will you stop comparing flu deaths with Covid deaths? They're not in the same league. Here is a table from the same report that the graph I posted earlier came from :

Now, that's quite simple. The figure is 22,087. The UK death toll from Covid is 127,823. Is that simple enough? It seems that "what the figures look like to you" is not a particularly useful measure.

Can we now agree that seasonal flu does not kill the same number of people?

Also consider that that is the death toll from Covid with social distancing, masks and lockdowns. Without these measures the death toll would be far, far higher. The figures for seasonal flu in 2018 are without social distancing, masks and lockdowns.

So will you stop posting that seasonal flu can in any way be compared to Covid?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

CrocoDuck wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 pm You're possibly not getting the first graph. The sine wave is the baseline number of deaths per week.
Making kitchen cabinets can be an art. But then, don't ask the cabinet maker about the rest of the house. Can a window header include a piece of 3/4" plywood ? I don't know, I'm making cabinets.

So, is there a function that evaluates the quality of the input ?

Eg: What seems to be a real U.S. senator who once was a real doctor, interviewed on seemingly a real news report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMvtz5jDM8

And about doctor Roger Hodkinson's credentials, he puts it clearly in his own description on the web site of the company he runs, as mentioned previously. Now, the question to ask is who would lie about his own background when trying to make money in a scientific field selling covid test equipment when such a thing can easily be found, and with other very valid background credentials ? I still maintain that there are intertwined interests with large financial funds available in this. We have seen renown scientists being ridiculed in the medias for having a different opinion in times when no different opinions is tolerated because of the emergency state.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

merlyn wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:24 am Now, that's quite simple. The figure is 22,087. The UK death toll from Covid is 127,823. Is that simple enough? It seems that "what the figures look like to you" is not a particularly useful measure.
Can you do the same exercise with the VAERS database ? Or rather, EudraVigilance ? Warning: with the latter there's no table that compiles the fatalities. A custom query script is surely used. Short of, one has to go through all the tables and manually compile them. With VAERS there's no need.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sunrat wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:18 am
Gps wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:47 pm It's spread by aerosols, and those are so small the mask don´t help.
Watch and learn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0zB904Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47t9qLc9I4

And why N95 masks are extra effective (it's not the size of the holes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdanPfQdCA
It seems that a lot of science talk is needed to prove the efficiency.

So simple tests such as this one can be obfuscated ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkdTyZ9xd_g
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

jonetsu wrote:Can you do the same exercise with the VAERS database ?
You do it. Or go back to making cabinets. :lol:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Gps wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 pm HCQ with some more, or Ivermectin. Is it because the pharmaceutical companies, can't make much money from those drugs?

The media and the governments are not listening to the doctors and the scientist though, but do listen the pharmaceutical companies, who are not even liable if their vaccines cause side effects, and are making profits on the vaccines.
To continue with the kitchen cabinet metaphor, the cabinet maker will not know if the cabinets will be used to store explosives in order to commit a terrorist attack. He's just making very fine cabinets. Which is an art in itself.