FOSS Replacement for Waves MaxxBass?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jeax
Established Member

FOSS Replacement for Waves MaxxBass?

Post by Jeax »

Has anyone tried any FOSS replacements for MaxxBass such as Maximal 2 ?
bluebell
Established Member

Re: FOSS Replacement for Waves MaxxBass?

Post by bluebell »

You might try CALF Bass Enhancer. Should be basically the same.

Maximal2 seems to be a completely different thing that can probably replaced by thy combination of any compressor and any limiter.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Maximal 2 appears to be a limiter with saturation. MaxxBass seems to be something different to that.

Why is it that you like MaxxBass/what do you use it for?

You might just want to add some saturation to the bass. If there's a multiband saturation plugin on Linux then you could be more specific with that. Although, I don't think the results will be quite the same as MaxxBass seeing as it supposedly analyses the sound and specifically creates harmonics that it believes are the most fundamental, where as other saturation plugins are less specific about the harmonics they introduce. But if you're just looking to make the bass more apparent on speakers lacking low end, regular saturation will help you out for sure.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

I'm looking for ways to ensure low frequencies are audible on computer speakers.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Mixbus has some bass-related plugins which might help: AVA Bass Flow https://harrisonconsoles.com/ava-plugins and XT-BC Bass Character https://harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus-plugins/. There are frequent sales, so if you are patient you can get these at a discount. These will work in any DAW supporting LV2 or VST.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

This is interesting. However, I'm looking for a FOSS replacement.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Check out the Airwindows plugins.
https://airwindows.com
They have no gui, but they kick ass
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Jeax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:35 pm I'm looking for ways to ensure low frequencies are audible on computer speakers.
Yeh. Saturation, distortion, soft clipping etc.. Tie that in with some EQ boosts in the right place of the upper bass/lower mid-range. All that stuff can help. But you probably know this so hopefully someone will be able to suggest some good Linux plugins.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Jeax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:49 pm This is interesting. However, I'm looking for a FOSS replacement.
mda Sub-Bass synthesizer? I haven't used it for a while though. A while here meaning 15+ years, probably.

I don't think Maximal2 is free or open source software in any way.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Jeax wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:35 pm I'm looking for ways to ensure low frequencies are audible on computer speakers.
Depending on these speakers, there is a limit to how low they can go. Trying to generate really low basses could damage/destroy your speakers so be careful with low frequency generators, I've been there and killed cheap desktop speakers :!:
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

barbouze wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 pm Depending on these speakers, there is a limit to how low they can go. Trying to generate really low basses could damage/destroy your speakers so be careful with low frequency generators, I've been there and killed cheap desktop speakers :!:
Yeh that's what I was getting at. You need to enhance the harmonics further up the spectrum which relate to the fundamental frequency of the note/s being played because it will enhance your perception of the low end which is especially useful for small speakers. That's what MaxxBass does though so I'm pretty sure Jeax already understands this. Using saturation and distortion like I suggested is one way of doing things but it is a bit less specific and doesn't quite give you the same results. A plugin like MaxxBass can be better, especially if you have a simple sine or triangle bass that has a smooth sound with no fuzz and you want to preserve that quality.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would try making a copy or two of the track (using a send pre fader probably) and filter particular bands which you can then apply effects to. This way you can distort the mid band to add more harmonics and have control over the level of it independently. Filtering again post fx gives you even more flexibility.