freeverb3

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

freeverb3

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, anyone familiar with freverb3??? Not the LADSPA CMT plugin but this one
http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/

It seems to have a vst plugin with gui. It uses reverb IR files. was able to install the vst and run under wine but man does it hog cpu....
I've install the linux version but now docs on how to use it... don't even know where to start... :cry:

I'm just looking for an IR files host like sIR on WIndows... JC_Gui I use but for guitar IR files. jconvolver is awesome but who has the time to keep tweaking the jconv.conf files to adjust the settings??

I think the jconvolver gui that was planned is dead and linux can use a really nice reverb unit where you can load your own IR files.

Hybridreverb2 is not true native linux because it needs jost as a host and through jost, cpu screams for mercy :(
werock
Established Member

Re: freeverb3

Post by werock »

funkmuscle wrote:
Hybridreverb2 is not true native linux because it needs jost as a host and through jost, cpu screams for mercy :(
Are you sure about that? I've not seen that mentioned elsewhere. Dave Philips mentions it is a native VST in his article http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/gif ... o-holidays. But I've never used it, so your experience is greater than mine :wink:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

the native VST... that needs jost... I can't run ardour and have it as a plugin... jost uses up way too must cpu running hybridreverb2.. In fact, jost period has never been a success with me..

just ran it again... 100% cpu use...
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

funkmuscle wrote:Hybridreverb2 is not true native linux because it needs jost as a host and through jost, cpu screams for mercy :(
The plugin is indeed a true native Linux VST, and of course it needs a compliant host. Other than JOST there's QTractor and energyXT2. I plan to build the latest QTractor today, will test it for plugin support, especially native Linux VST and LV2.

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

funkmuscle wrote:Hey, anyone familiar with freverb3??? Not the LADSPA CMT plugin but this one
http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/
IIRC the LADSPA plugin is based on that codebase, i.e. Jeezar's original, but I haven't tested that reverb for ages.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, I read that and it's also built around nreverb..
I wanted to know about freeverb3 because it allows you to use IR files instead of the fixed reverbs that comes with the others.
I mean something like this:
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2.html

freeverb3 suppose to do the same. it does on Windows but I can't figure it out on Linux.
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

StudioDave wrote: The plugin is indeed a true native Linux VST, and of course it needs a compliant host. Other than JOST there's QTractor and energyXT2. I plan to build the latest QTractor today, will test it for plugin support, especially native Linux VST and LV2.

Best,

dp
And Renoise, if you don't mind non-free stuff.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

lemme know if qtractor works... I have it working with vst using dssi but not native vst...

EDIT: like jost, SDK is needed... freeverb3(the one that can load IR reverb wav files), comes as a vst and a linux app(no SDK needed).

I just wanna know how to use it... I've email the dev for the past year and he never replies.. No doc, etc...
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

funkmuscle wrote:lemme know if qtractor works... I have it working with vst using dssi but not native vst...

EDIT: like jost, SDK is needed... freeverb3(the one that can load IR reverb wav files), comes as a vst and a linux app(no SDK needed).

I just wanna know how to use it... I've email the dev for the past year and he never replies.. No doc, etc...
I built the code from the linux-vst.com site, not the same as what you're pointing to. That plugin loaded fine in QTractor, but I haven't tested it. It does not include the capability to load IR files.

Btw, that SIR2 reverb is also a CPU pig. I think that perhaps all convolution-based reverbs are likely to use more than their fair share of cycles. :(

I also built the code from SF, but I didn't end up with a standalone Linux app, just a plugin for Audacious (which is what I told it to make). Did you build & run the standalone version ?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I also built the code from SF, but I didn't end up with a standalone Linux app, just a plugin for Audacious (which is what I told it to make). Did you build & run the standalone version ?
Hey DP, I did build the stand alone and I can only use the command line
fv3_impulser_jack.

brummer cannot continue to maintain JCGui and he's looking for a new maintainer, do you know anyone that would grab it up?
It does a great job with IR files and and if it can use all the features of jconvolver, we'd have a winner (Fons approval first of cousre)
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

funkmuscle wrote:Hey DP, I did build the stand alone and I can only use the command line
fv3_impulser_jack.
Ha, I didn't realize that the /samples directory was a folder for the example programs. I have the JACK impulser too but haven't tested it.

I also tested the Freeverb3 VST plugins with Festige. Ouch. Xruns in paradise, at low latency settings. I didn't bother further.
brummer cannot continue to maintain JCGui and he's looking for a new maintainer, do you know anyone that would grab it up?
It does a great job with IR files and and if it can use all the features of jconvolver, we'd have a winner (Fons approval first of cousre)
Make a pitch to the LAD list, with a list of what needs to be done, egregious bugs, GUI improvements, features from jconvolver, whatever else you'd like to see. I'll mention its orphan status in an article too, maybe stir up some action.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, mad xruns there.

thanx for spreading the JcGui word and as AutoStatic mentioned and now you, I will post on LAD.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

never used LAD and when I tried to send a message the way they say to, I'm told I'm not allowed to do that so I don't know how to post it..