jam300

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

jam300

Post by jonetsu »

Here's one I just put on soundcloud. Not finalized, not mixed. Will be replaced eventually.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam300/s-xegXn

I will try to get the time to listen to some of the music posted here .....

Cheers.
milo
Established Member

Re: jam300

Post by milo »

This is a nice sketch. Good choice of sounds, and a good balance between them. The track has a hypnotic effect, inducing a nice mood. The guitar part in particular feels like it needs to be fleshed out a bit more.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Pleasant sound and amazing melodies! :)

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the comments, and also thanks for the illustration, psyocean ! Always makes me smile, those.

The first guitar lines would be sounding kind of like an Ennio Morricone soundtrack, perhaps in the same vein as the harmonica in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" (or was it another Sergio Leone movie ?). Some kind of barren sound although this time against a modern backdrop of synths. Then the second guitar riffs picks it up perhaps as a sort of supportive gesture.

The current state of jam300 is like a zoom-in on a scenery. It does not show the rest of the environment. It often happens like that. Improvs and jams are focused on an aspect, like jumping right away at the moment when one jumps into a pool, without having the context. The development consists of showing what the context is, how one is lead to jump into the pool, and then perhaps what happens after that.

This was jam300. I'm currently at jam714. Sometimes when listening to previous inspirations I feel driven to pick it up, polish it, add to it, and generally bring it up to the 'next stage'. This is the case with jam300. It kind of 'calls' to be revisited. In this case I randomly played several of those jams when doing something else, as a musical backdrop, and that piece got attention. It's something I like to do, to play 'forgotten' jams as a backdrop and hear what is standing out. And also hear what's not so very good and would need an awful lot of (re-)work to make it palatable.

I usually go for the low-hanging fruits, the ones that needs not so much rework or, that drives strongly any rework to be done.

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Sounds really great so far! I can image that there come some glitch elements into the track later. The drums could also get more punchy during the track. I even would think about leaving the guitar out, but with all that it would be another track. :lol:
Mix is well balanced!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi jonetsu!

Love the groove and the glue between that warm synth bass and that big kick drum, really good mix in general and especially in the low end! Also like the 'cold' evolving pads. I'd like to hear a bit more variation in the rhythm track maybe some drum fills or even percussion shots and I would like to have heard the guitar come in earlier but those are minor points in what is otherwise a really well mixed groove!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hi GMaq,

For some reason just saw your comment today. I saw lillith's some time ago though. I'm actively working on that piece. The main concern is in overdoing it, shadowing the initial freshness/intent. Yes, additional percs, fills here and there, even a break would be welcomed. A new guitar lick is earlier in the piece now. The mix is OK, although I haven't ran the piece in Mixbus32C yet, so it's more of a mix to get things going. Just importing the tracks w/o doing anything else into Mixbus32C will give the whole piece a nice sheen.

Hi lillith,

Glitch ? It's an idea although I'm not good that yet and I feel it'd break the flowing aspects of the piece which I see as a strong point. The lazy envelope of pads over 'tribal' drums, supported by warm deep bass is what got me when I re-listened for the first time in a while to this piece recently. The guitars will stay, and there's even more now :) There's a bit more accent on the drums as part of the arrangement now. It should be done soon, I'll repost.

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:Hi GMaq,

For some reason just saw your comment today. I saw lillith's some time ago though. I'm actively working on that piece. The main concern is in overdoing it, shadowing the initial freshness/intent. Yes, additional percs, fills here and there, even a break would be welcomed. A new guitar lick is earlier in the piece now. The mix is OK, although I haven't ran the piece in Mixbus32C yet, so it's more of a mix to get things going. Just importing the tracks w/o doing anything else into Mixbus32C will give the whole piece a nice sheen.

Hi lillith,

Glitch ? It's an idea although I'm not good that yet and I feel it'd break the flowing aspects of the piece which I see as a strong point. The lazy envelope of pads over 'tribal' drums, supported by warm deep bass is what got me when I re-listened for the first time in a while to this piece recently. The guitars will stay, and there's even more now :) There's a bit more accent on the drums as part of the arrangement now. It should be done soon, I'll repost.

Cheers.
Yup, it's just how the track continued in my head after 3:00 min. I especially like the electronic part of it and the dodgy rhythm.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Nice track!

Listening to it in a loop for now 30 minutes up. :D :lol:

Yes, sometimes I do weird things... :wink: