Best Platforms to Share Creative Commons Music?

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Re: Best Platforms to Share Creative Commons Music?

Post by raboof »

Jeax wrote:
raboof wrote:I recently came across 'funkwhale', seems interesting! https://funkwhale.audio/
Do you have experience with this social platform or are you just sharing it?
Not yet, just came across it and shared because it seemed interesting.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I've been wondering the same thing, for a slightly different reason. I've been using SoundCloud this past year to share my music, and I must admit I'm fine with it, but one thing bothers me: the inability to replace the track when I have updates. I had this need after I fixed a few things in a track I published, and had to publish a completely new one, making the previous one private, which sucks because you lose the views/likes/comments as part of the process. I know the replace-track feature is indeed available for Pro accounts, which is reasonable, but I don't really see the point of purchasing a costly account for what is, and will remain, just a hobby. This basically prevents me from sharing rought drafts that I can increment upon.

I've had a look at a few other options, and stumbled upon this old thread as well a few weeks ago, but couldn't find anything that seems to be filling that gap. A lot of people recommend clyp.it, but I tried it and you can't replace tracks either (not sure if it's behind a pay-wall too); besides, it seems to be even more limiting than SoundCloud, since it didn't allow me to choose a custom username to appear in my profile URL. I haven't tried other options, e.g., hearthis.at, but at this point I'm starting to suspect it's not a common feature.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Rainmak3r wrote:the inability to replace the track when I have updates.
My best recommendation: host your own website with WordPress, Squarespace, etc. Ampache is an old media-focused CMS that could serve that purpose.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Jeax wrote:
Rainmak3r wrote:the inability to replace the track when I have updates.
My best recommendation: host your own website with WordPress, Squarespace, etc. Ampache is an old media-focused CMS that could serve that purpose.
That's what I do. My music site is hosted by Wordpress.com, so I don't even have to maintain the server. I have a lot of freedom, and can replace drafts with new revisions, etc. You can draw people to your site by writing useful tutorials, etc.

Downsides of this approach:
- The free WordPress accounts won't let you upload mp3s, so you have to have a paid account to host music (currently $99/year).
- Your music is less discoverable, because you are an island. Promotion is all on you, and fewer people will stumble across your stuff.
- It's more work to set up and maintain your site, customize the UI theme, groom the html, etc.

Actually, I'm not sure how much the second point matters. How much exposure do you get from having your music on a site like SoundCloud? I don't even know. I used to use Jamendo (years ago), and wasn't super impressed with the exposure it brought my music. Same for Mp3.com back in the early 2000's. Of course, my recordings weren't as good back then so maybe that's why.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

- Your music is less discoverable, because you are an island. Promotion is all on you, and fewer people will stumble across your stuff.
This is more true with a website, although I was speaking of WordPress.org which gives many more options, not WordPress.com.

Being on Soundcloud, Spotify, etc. puts in related search results for people hunting for new music. With the research I've done since starting this thread, I think being on Spotify and YouTube music, and stating a track is CC, is a solid start to sharing CC music.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Anyone using AudioMack or Funkwhale these days?