Benchmarking systems and comparing performance

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alignwaivers
Established Member

Benchmarking systems and comparing performance

Post by alignwaivers »

Hi, so I want to get a better computer - is there any suggestions for knowing (in advance) what computer (laptop or desktop) will perform well as far as DSP and latency? Obviously SSD>HDD and more ram/processor speed is ideal, but what other factors should be taken into account: especially before buying this is tough, but I'm also curious on how to compare DSP ability across linux machines to make determinations which is better for doing audio. In the past, I was surprised that my lenovo yoga (1) outperformed my t440s when it came to xruns and lowering the buffer size to optimize speed (without having too many xruns). So it doesn't seem as straightforward as I would have thought (same distro on both btw)

Any insights are appreciated, thanks. At some point in the nearish future, I do plan on investing more heavily than I ever have on a high performance laptop for live performance etc. Besides generally having had really good experiences with Lenovo, it's hard to narrow down best fit for audio performance on Linux. Even with just that manufacturer there are many options.