Strong WLAN Stick 100% Linux compatible and Distro recommendation

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Strong WLAN Stick 100% Linux compatible and Distro recommendation

Post by lilith »

Can someone recommend me a strong, robust and reliable WLAN stick that is 100% compatible with Linux? I want to "upgrade" an older Desktop PC of my father with Ubuntu. ATM there's Win 7 running and the WLAN connection is horrible. What's the most basic and simple Linux Distro? He doesn't have any computer experience, so LibreWriter and Firefox are basically the only 2 programs he needs. Updates should run in the background. Terminal usage is a nogo for him. :mrgreen:

Thanks and cheers
milo
Established Member

Re: Strong WLAN Stick 100% Linux compatible and Distro recommendation

Post by milo »

I have used these Belkin Wireless 802.11g USB dongles: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1. Their Linux compatibility is great, just plug and play. But their connection speed is not the fastest, and their range isn't as good as the built-in antennas on my laptops or phones. If he is close to the wifi router then it should work pretty well. If the machine is on the other side of 3 or 4 walls then it won't work as well.

As for distro, a lot of things would work if all he needs is a word processor and a web browser. Ubuntu will be fine. Xubuntu may be better on old hardware. MX Linux would be a good option too, or Mint XFCE. If you wanted to you could even make your own minimal Debian system with only a web browser and word processor installed and a minimal GUI. If he's not going to open a terminal and troubleshoot the thing himself, then it almost doesn't matter what distro it is as long as it is easy for you to maintain.

As for automated backups, you could set a cron job to do a monthly 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade.'
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks, I think I install Debian / XFCE :). If it doesn't work maybe Puppy Linux (just have to check if there's a german version).

I thought about buying such a stick:

https://www.amazon.de/CSL-Abnehmbarer-A ... op?ie=UTF8

It also seems to work with Linux.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079XWMEI

I don't know much about wifi performance, but I didn't have any trouble getting it to work on Linux; I only had to installed it and turn on the computer. I have no use for it anymore and it hardly cost anything, so if by chance you live on the same continent as me, I could give it to you if you cover the shipping cost. (Edit: I just noticed that your location says Black Forest, I'm assuming it is the one in Germany)

You might try Elementary OS for the simple user experience that you describe.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Michael Willis wrote:I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079XWMEI

I don't know much about wifi performance, but I didn't have any trouble getting it to work on Linux; I only had to installed it and turn on the computer. I have no use for it anymore and it hardly cost anything, so if by chance you live on the same continent as me, I could give it to you if you cover the shipping cost. (Edit: I just noticed that your location says Black Forest, I'm assuming it is the one in Germany)

You might try Elementary OS for the simple user experience that you describe.
Black Forest is Southern Germany, yup. I ordered the CLS stick and give it a try tomorrow. Elementary OS looks also fine. Thanks.