Not great news... AV Linux Forum shutting down September 1st

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Not great news... AV Linux Forum shutting down September 1st

Post by GMaq »

Hi LM's!

Just passing this along to reach as many people as I can, thanks!

http://www.bandshed.net/2019/08/26/av-l ... pt-1-2019/
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Not great news... AV Linux Forum shutting down September 1st

Post by folderol »

Sorry to hear this, but fully understand.
Keep up with the music!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

Same here. Sorry to hear. I can understand. Time is very valuable. Keep on rocking!!!!!!!!
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Thanks for creating and continuing AV Linux and User Manual, as a beginner it is a perfect way to easily try out a LAW suite without having to jump through hoops for hours. Still looking fw to try your AVL Drumkits, they sound great!

I have bookmarked some of the http://bandshed.net/forum threads and am sure there are loads of valuable info in others. If possible, would you consider keeping the forum online as an archive only?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Thank you and everyone : zack (=luck:)
Fmajor7add9 wrote:would you consider keeping the forum online as an archive only?
Good idea and in the bandshed.net/forum a link to LinuxMusicians "Board index Software Support & Discussion Linux Distributions & Other Software AVLinux Discussion".
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

The end of an era.

It's not great news, but on the positive side AV Linux will continue to be available.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

That's a hard thing to announce but it's always good to take something off our plates to make room for new/more important stuff.

I'm grateful for all you have done and do do for this wacky community and SPECIAL THANKS for keeping the golden manual alive!
listenable at c6a7.org
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Best wishes. I know how you feel. I feel bad that I haven't had time to participate on these forums. Av Linux, Linux Musicians and the Ardour forum have been a very valuable resource for myself.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Props to you GMaq, for making a tough decision here. Scaling back is absolutely the right thing to do sometimes. You contribute hugely to the world of Linux audio, and I appreciate what you do. Keep your chin up, and churn out some great rock & roll tunes for us!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

To all who have replied so far:

Thanks so much for the kind words and support, what I get out of the community here is very much more than I give to it! I'm sincerely grateful!!
Galeb_G4
Established Member

Post by Galeb_G4 »

So, please excuse my beginner's question, but that's the forum which will be shut down, not support for AV Linux in general?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Galeb_G4

It's quite a valid question.. and I don't have full answer..

The problem is as one person I don't have time to be on a forum consistently since AVL is one of many spare time pursuits so a forum with nobody present is not useful.. Part of the support question is addressed by including the User Manual in AV Linux and many issues and questions from the forum are addressed in it and it will be expanded from some of the current questions on the forum before it closes down.

Other than that I can't say for sure, an AVL subforum was very kindly offered here but unfortunately I would need to moderate it and that brings up the same time crunch issue that my own forum faced. There are already occasional AV Linux questions (and criticisms...lol) posted here and I am a longtime member here and frequently here when my time allows so I would say posting here in the 'Linux Distributions and Software' section would be a place I would see it on my visits here.

I'm sure some people wonder "well if you have time to be here and other forums why close your own forum!!??" and the answer is I don't have time consistently. My job is seasonal and I'm a part time musician and also do some paid studio work so there are times I have hours to spend on forums and times I can't get here for more than a week at a time.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

GMaq wrote: Other than that I can't say for sure, an AVL subforum was very kindly offered here but unfortunately I would need to moderate it and that brings up the same time crunch issue that my own forum faced.
it is a bit better than you think: Moderation in form of removing spam, hateful people is done by a complete staff here and will include a potential AVL subforum.

The case where you are personally needed is when there is an actual technical or support question nobody else can answer. You know best, from your own experience, how many times a question is asked that is specific to AVL and cannot be answered by general Linux or Audio knowledge.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Perfectly understandable, Glen. Good luck with the new phase in your life and thanks for everything you've done (and will no doubt continue to do) for Linux Audio.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote:Other than that I can't say for sure, an AVL subforum was very kindly offered here but unfortunately I would need to moderate it and that brings up the same time crunch issue that my own forum faced. There are already occasional AV Linux questions (and criticisms...lol) posted here and I am a longtime member here and frequently here when my time allows so I would say posting here in the 'Linux Distributions and Software' section would be a place I would see it on my visits here.
From my side this was meant very well seriously and you can then answer there if you want/have time. Also archiving the existing AVLinux forum entries.
Would that be helpful to you?
As one of many users I think that would be great.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.