IK Multimedia 'group buy' 2019

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

IK Multimedia 'group buy' 2019

Post by jonetsu »

Last time was in September. The more people participating, the more plugins becomes free, after purchasing one. It is currently at 5 free plugins and there are 214 participants left to join reach 6 free plugins. The fre eplugins must be of same price or lower than the one that was bought. Last year I got something around 7 or 8 free plugins.

I run IK Multimedia plugins using wine staging and linvst on Xubuntu 18.04 inside Bitwig and Mixbus32C without any slight workaround whatsoever. This time around there are Amplitude amp kits also available.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/pickandmix/
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Re: IK Multimedia 'group buy' 2019

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

...without any slight workaround whatsoever...
Well, you are already using a massive workaround called WINE... :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Hmmmmm. Real Marshall 15 Watt amp = € 98.30 (link). IK's VST model of it: € 99.99 (link). Thanks but no thanks, IK Multimedia. Think I'll stick to the real thing and/or the excellent free Calf, Steve Harris and TAP (Tom's Audio Processing) plugins.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

mike@overtonedsp wrote:
...without any slight workaround whatsoever...
Well, you are already using a massive workaround called WINE... :)
Does not use so much resources. I have now 653 sketches made with some 80 a bit more finished on the soundcloud page, with some examples in the links below. A good 60% of these if not more were made with Windows VST.

I think I will stop there with the comments as it might degenerate.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Hmmmmm. Real Marshall 15 Watt amp = € 98.30 (link). IK's VST model of it: € 99.99 (link). Thanks but no thanks, IK Multimedia. Think I'll stick to the real thing and/or the excellent free Calf, Steve Harris and TAP (Tom's Audio Processing) plugins.
For me it's simple: I am not a guitarist, I do not play electric guitar, only acoustic (and that's playing in the literal sense of the word, like a kid in a sandbox) so what the heck with marshall plugins and amps ?

However, the CSR reverbs I have (room and hall) are pretty good with their warmth.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:
mike@overtonedsp wrote: Well, you are already using a massive workaround called WINE... :)
Does not use so much resources. I have now 653 sketches made with some 80 a bit more finished on the soundcloud page, with some examples in the links below. A good 60% of these if not more were made with Windows VST.
I am not worried about resources, but functionality / problems. Specially when talking about stuff I have to pay for. Sure most things work, but there can be some problems. At least I have seen problems in some installation / registration phases. For example, I could not install Spitfire Labs.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote: I am not worried about resources, but functionality / problems. Specially when talking about stuff I have to pay for. Sure most things work, but there can be some problems. At least I have seen problems in some installation / registration phases. For example, I could not install Spitfire Labs.
From the beginning, from the well-founded observation about so many people trying to make things work, coming up endlessly with this and that workarounds, combined with the fact that when I'm done doing software work I want to sit and be a regular user and create music, I established a set of rules that I absolutely stick to:

1) It must be simple
2) It must work

So it means no problems. Absolutely. This said, it can include some minor run-time workarounds that can be incorporated into the creative work flow.

With your example of Spitfire Labs, as it was the case a couple of days ago when trying out the Loom2 synth demo that uses a Bonjour (iLok) thing the solution according to the rules is simple, quick and efficient, and executed without any regret whatsoever:

Ditched.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

tavasti wrote:I am not worried about resources, but functionality / problems. Specially when talking about stuff I have to pay for. Sure most things work, but there can be some problems. At least I have seen problems in some installation / registration phases. For example, I could not install Spitfire Labs.
Wait a minute. Do the IK Multimedia's VST plugins come w/ a Windows installer? I hate those with a passion. If a Windows VST is simply a .dll file then I can place it in ~/vst and it'll work in Linux. I think that Windows users won't like those installers either. If you switch from one computer to another (e.g. from Windows 10 to Windows 11) the installer might not work properly anymore etc.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: I am not worried about resources, but functionality / problems. Specially when talking about stuff I have to pay for. Sure most things work, but there can be some problems. At least I have seen problems in some installation / registration phases. For example, I could not install Spitfire Labs.
With your example of Spitfire Labs, as it was the case a couple of days ago when trying out the Loom2 synth demo that uses a Bonjour (iLok) thing the solution according to the rules is simple, quick and efficient, and executed without any regret whatsoever:

Ditched.
Ok, feel free to tell me how to get forward:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19776&p=104404

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

tavasti wrote:Ok, feel free to tell me how to get forward:
Holy moly! That's complicated. A collection of errors can occur whilst trying to install some needed piece of Windows software in Wine and even then you still haven't got the plugin itself and its libraries... Pffff. I'm sorry: but this sort of trouble would be a reason for me to look for a free Windows VST alternative or to look for an alternative in my Linux Package Manager...
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:Ok, feel free to tell me how to get forward:
I'm not sure you understood my two rules. I quickly read the thread. This is a good example of something that gets ditched even before trying. I do not want to be an hero regarding this and save the day. If I want to be an hero, it'll be a hero in understanding how all the plugins I actually have runs and how to make the best of them. I could give a list, but I'll just type a few names of plugins I have that works and that offers a lot of possibilites to be learned: Rob Papen, IK Multimedia, Sonic Charge, KV331, Melda, Voxengo, Tone 2.

As I've mentioned, when I sit to create music it is to make music, not to try to make something work at tyhe software level. It does not work, ditched. It requires kontakt player, ditched, it requires iLok, ditched, etc.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wait a minute. Do the IK Multimedia's VST plugins come w/ a Windows installer? I hate those with a passion.
Then you will not get far.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: If a Windows VST is simply a .dll file then I can place it in ~/vst and it'll work in Linux. I think that Windows users won't like those installers either. If you switch from one computer to another (e.g. from Windows 10 to Windows 11) the installer might not work properly anymore etc.
Only the simplest freeware Windows VST are shipped as simple dlls. All the rest have install procedures.

And it's OK.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Holy moly! That's complicated. A collection of errors can occur whilst trying to install some needed piece of Windows software in Wine and even then you still haven't got the plugin itself and its libraries... Pffff. I'm sorry: but this sort of trouble would be a reason for me to look for a free Windows VST alternative or to look for an alternative in my Linux Package Manager...
At least we seem to have the same view regarding the level of hassle.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

jonetsu wrote:At least we seem to have the same view regarding the level of hassle.
Exactly. Why oh why do they make it so difficult to install those VST's? To make it more difficult to redistribute them illegally? Doesn't have to be so. I've got simple .dll ones that ask on startup if you've got a serial (daHornet, installer will ask where to place the .dll).

It's the same w/ certain (class compliant) hardware that does not need a driver: for Windows they make one anyway. Why oh why...? :?:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Not to mention the actual folders where Windows plugins are getting installed by default: it's up to the vendor, so just about anything goes.