MOTU 828es, The ultimate Linux audio interface ?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musicmaker
Established Member

MOTU 828es, The ultimate Linux audio interface ?

Post by Musicmaker »

Just released

- Web based / IP (also Linux), Thus no ALSA mixer needed !
- Internal effects
- USB input of 28 channels , 1.9ms latency
- AVB 128 channels
- Audio class compliant (incl iOS)
- Time code I/O
- 2x 8 ADAT expansion.
- $995

This look to be the ultimate Linux Audio interface to get beyond 16 channels over USB (if it works under Linux)

http://motu.com/products/proaudio/828es
michalsykora

Re: MOTU 828es, The ultimate Linux audio interface ?

Post by michalsykora »

HELL YES. :arrow:

But:
- in Catia 828ES appears as 24 I/O interface + separate MIDI I/O over USB2
- 48kHz only, works stable at 512 sample (~10.7ms) buffer and more (at least on my Manjaro 4.9.48 on Lenovo X200)
- my process of starting Jack2 is:
- connect running 828ES to USB port, it automatically switches to 44.1kHz and gets "catched" by system (can not explain better)
- load my custom "preset" with only analog IO + SPDIF (I just like less unused things in the routing grid)
- start integrated Intel soundcard to get Cadence / Jack / USB hub etc. away from 828ES
- stop Jack, switch to 828ES, start Jack
- if this procedure was successful, you have rock solid 24 I/O - connected to grid of vast other I/O + simpler DSP mixer

- by simpler DSP mixer I mean no live mixing desk possibilities, but very good for studio monitor usage + possibility of OSC control, WEB control and password protect of main mixer part and auxes you don't make available without password, the built-in reverb is also very generic

Pros (in order):
- price of 1075eur at time of this post
- AVB, 2x ADAT, WC, LTC, MIDI - ideal for creative and expansive environments
- mic preamps - stepped 63dB gain, Pad has relay switching, hardware buttons for 48V and Pad + analog sends!
- MUTE switch for monitor, two independent headphones - no external management
- talkback mic does not waste one input - and you don't have to have the mic and cable
- integrated 100-240V power supply - I hate to find the correct brick every single time
- without rack ears fits airplane cabbin suitcase nicely
- it is 1.9kg only, well constructed

Cons (in order):
- european power cord has pretty big plug (a lot of force used, and not plugged correctly), I will change this cable
- USB cable is really long - this could be just my travel issue, i also have shorter one
- monitor B must be sent somewhere even if not used - that's what SPDIF is used for in my preset :roll:
- any other web app / device GUI nitpicked details and / or say minor flaws I sent to MOTU

Summary. If you:
- are in need of better preamps and converters than Focusrite / Presonus
- want RME equivalent with ethernet control - personally I don't like their driver software
- want AVB expandability - say direct connectivity to Stage-B16, without AVB router
- want excellent and fast routing with presets
- want mixer with DSP
- not sure what type of synchronization you could need for your projects
- travel
- have this moderate amount of money

GO FOR IT!

I am not paid MOTU staff and had to pay for my unit.

I think any other MOTU AVB soundcard could work similarly under Linux. As their older Traveller worked nicely over FW400. That was my bet.
Attachments
IMG_20171021_202130.jpg
IMG_20171021_202130.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 6348 times
Screenshot_2017-10-22_00-37-58.png
Screenshot_2017-10-22_00-37-58.png (51.56 KiB) Viewed 6348 times
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Thank you for reporting how this interface works!

I have just one question. According to specs, there are many more sample rates supported. What do you mean that 48 kHz only is supported? Is it that JACK will fail to start if a different sample rate is selected?
Ulrich
Established Member

Post by Ulrich »

Hey,

Anyone using it also ? I encounter a weird problem. It does not prevent me from using the sound card, but it is annoying. When I plug it in, I get this dmesg :

Code: Select all

usb 1-12: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-12: clock source 1 is not valid, cannot use
It makes the soundcard change its set samplerate. I have to apply the configuration for it to get back to a "normal" state. Then I can launch Jack, and it works.

The alsamixer gives this :

I have a really hard time understanding how ALSA works :oops: I would really like some help, or point me to the right board or mailing list.

Thanks everyone !
Gooberpatrol66
Established Member

Post by Gooberpatrol66 »

Is MIDI confirmed to work?
Ulrich
Established Member

Post by Ulrich »

Gooberpatrol66 wrote:Is MIDI confirmed to work?
Yes, everything works fine, from MIDI to both ADAT. The only annoying thing is the ALSA fuckery. But I don't have the knowledge to investigate further.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

There's another thread here concerning Motu Ultralite AVB, having audio glitches on input, due to problems with usb sync, for what I understand. Did you had the same, or not, and how much channels did you try to record simultaneously ?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

I have now the MOTU 828ES since a couple of weeks and I'd like to give a little feedback for interested people :

1 - it works as a class compliant device :D
2 - the infamous "stuttering effect" heavily discussed on the AVB thread is indeed here, with the most recent firmware
3 - regressing to the very first firmware from MOTU site solves the problem, well "almost" solves it. If you don't shutdown or reboot the unit, it may reappear after 15/20 hours.

Questions welcome, I can test different things.
Ulrich
Established Member

Post by Ulrich »

stanlea wrote: Questions welcome, I can test different things.
Did you manage to get the card to sync correctly when turning it on ?

Everytime I turn the sound card off/on, the card syncs to a clock to 192k. I have to apply the preset again on the web interface to go back to the correct samplerate, and then I can use it without any anomaly or de-sync, even accross reboot of the computer :?
CarsonCi

Post by CarsonCi »

Ulrich wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 am
stanlea wrote:

Questions welcome, I can test different things.

Did you manage to get
healthier with appetite suppressants
and the card to sync correctly when turning it on ?

Everytime I turn the sound card off/on, the card syncs to a clock to 192k. I have to apply the preset again on the web interface to go back to the correct samplerate, and then I can use it without any anomaly or de-sync, even accross reboot of the computer :?

Is this how all of them are or are you experiencing some kind of a big?

Last edited by CarsonCi on Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Ulrich wrote:

I was off for a hike in Yukon, but I'm back and look at that ASAP.
Ulrich
Established Member

Post by Ulrich »

CarsonCi wrote:Is this how all of them are or are you experiencing some kind of a big?
From the other thread about Motu cards, it seems some users are experiencing it. It's not a critical bug, as you only have to switch back to the correct sample rate from the web interface, and apply the mixer settings again as for a reason unknown by me the HPF setup does not survive this.

Once done, it's all smooth until you turn it off and back on, and this card is pretty great IMHO.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Ulrich wrote:

Ulrich : my firmware is 1.3.2+59. I use Cadence with jack2 and the card is correctly set each time I turn it on : 48Khz for me.
redplastic
Established Member

Post by redplastic »

I wrote to Motu (I'm Italian, I hope you'll forgive my English!).
Hi Motu Team,

I'm really happy of my new 828es, but i can only use an old firmware (2017). Can you please consider linux users in new firmwares? Now we have pro and commercial DAWs (Bitwig, Reason, Mixbus) and a lot of linux users are buying your AVB interfaces. So, we exist and we have the right to buy a Motu and use it with our favourite OS. Please, let us work and create music!

Have a great 2020!

PS. If you need informations to improve your firmware in a linux friendly way, please ask me and I'll try to help, involving also linux communities.
Than Andrew, from Motu:
Hi Piermarco Paolo,

Thank you very much for your message.

Officially, MOTU does not support Linux. However, I do hear you loud and clear and I am aware that older firmwares will work for Linux users using the class complaint driver.

I will be sure to forward your inquiry to the development team for consideration.

All best,

Andrew