EZDrummer alternative?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: EZDrummer alternative?

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

merlyn wrote:I've never tried BackupBand.
Heathen! Infidel! Apple consumer!

Why haven't you tried it? Because it's meant for live performance/practice, it's designed for maximum "instant gratification". There's no setup or learning curve required. Just unzip and run the BackupBand binary. Double-Click one of the style buttons ("Heavy Metal", "Disco", "Reggae",etc), then click a key on the graphical (onscreen) piano. Your 3 piece backup band (drums, bass, rhythm guitar) starts jamming. You'll want to grab an instrument and play along. It has an addictive "fun factor".

Here's a testimonial from an actual enduser:
BackupBand is a lot of fun. It's surprising how much the robot musicians sound like a real, live band. I've wasted hours, days, and weeks of my life just jamming along to the 63 included styles, and haven't yet created my own. It's so addictive I don't have the time nor inclination to do anything else, such as sleep, eat, or bathe. In fact, my wife left me last month, and I never even noticed! The only friends I have left are BackupBand's robots.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

OK I'll try it when I get a round tuit.
RoundTuit.png
RoundTuit.png (64.25 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Oh, there's one.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Hey, cut that out. It's my job to make sarcastic wisecracks around here. (Do you even have a union card?) I was duly elected to fill this role (with assistance from my "campaign manager", Vladimir Putin).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

jmantra623

Post by jmantra623 »

I know a bit late to the party on this, but check this out:

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/logic-ga ... mer/109775

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I currently use the AVL Drumkits
For some reason I use all the available kits at once, playing simultaneously together. It gives a me a more full warm sound.

I'd love to use Hydrogen, never tried,... but it seems it's not possible to use in-DAW like a VST.
So you can export to WAV and put that in your DAW.... but then for each correction, you need to go back to Hydrogen to change, export and load that in your DAW again... not convenient.
Or if you export as midi, you can edit the midi in your DAW, but then you need to apply the corresponding hydrogen sounds (or other sounds) in your DAW... then why using Hydrogen in the first place as you create your sequence in your DAW

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

bulevardi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:52 am

I'd love to use Hydrogen, never tried,... but it seems it's not possible to use in-DAW like a VST.

Maybe have a look at
viewtopic.php?p=72663#p72663

It is about using Hydrogen to play Drumgizmo via midi in Ardour

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bulevardi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:52 am

So you can export to WAV and put that in your DAW.... but then for each correction, you need to go back to Hydrogen to change, export and load that in your DAW again... not convenient.

Or...just sync DAW and Hydrogen with Jack Transport, and route Hydrogen's audio output into the DAW.