Percussion Synthesizer

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Kott wrote:
iurie wrote:Since I am going to make Geonkick cross-platform I need also a cross-platform file browser, so I have started to implement it by using C++17 file system features.


Actually I don't know what is worse ) Someone uses system, someone implements their own.


I don't think I understood what you mean but... X Window System and (I think) Windows API too upon which Redkite is built doesn't provide any file browsers dialogs or a way to open the system native one, you have to develop them. There is a need to add dependency of GTK etc for those native... that is against the purpose of Redkite GUI toolkit for self-sufficient GUI plugins. For example, as you can see it depends of GTK - https://github.com/mlabbe/nativefiledialog

Also, I wanted to mention that I have fixed the problem regarding crash thanks to Kott's reported issue and there is a need to updated Redkite from the master and rebuild Geonkick with the Redkite 0.5.2 if someone experienced the same problem. Thank for your help!

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am

Hi! I have released the minor version 1.6 that includes also the envelopes for filters.

Features:

Filter cutoff envelope
Mouse wheel for controls
Remember working directory for file dialogs
Scroll bar, mouse wheel and Up/Down keys for file dialogs

Fixes & improvements:

Adjust synthesizer parameters values to fit into -1.0 and 1.0 range for output.
Limit the filter when it gets unstable
Fix default value for limiter

https://github.com/quamplex/geonkick/releases

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Kott » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah, file dialog is better now :)

Iurie, what you think about Linux VST version?

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Kott wrote:Yeah, file dialog is better now :)

Iurie, what you think about Linux VST version?


I haven't thought about this. This just will enable usage in hosts that don't support LV2, i.e probably most of them are proprietary.

glowrak guy
Established Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby glowrak guy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am

If you want your hard work, talents, and the benefits of your software
to go largely un-noticed, providing only LV2 plugin versions is the way forward.
Cheers

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am

glowrak guy wrote:If you want your hard work, talents, and the benefits of your software
to go largely un-noticed, providing only LV2 plugin versions is the way forward.
Cheers


Sorry, probably due to my not Enlgish native language I expressed myself somewhat negatively. I have plans to develop VST3 for Windows, I didn't thought about VTS for GNU/Linux since I thought on GNU/Linux most use LV2 or LADSPA. Probably those proprietary on GNU/Linux don't support, and if this particular case is in demand I'll think about this. I have created an issue on this, scheduled for version 2.0.

I have no talens... don't have any mythical powers like these. :)

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby tavasti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:10 am

I suppose having code that creates vst2 is ok, but distributing vst2 binaries without existing license is not possible?
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 pm

tavasti wrote:I suppose having code that creates vst2 is ok, but distributing vst2 binaries without existing license is not possible?


At least reading from here someone will need permition from Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH to distribute/sell etc. binary form of VST https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm

iurie wrote: Sorry, probably due to my not Enlgish native language I expressed myself somewhat negatively. I have plans to develop VST3 for Windows, I didn't thought about VTS for GNU/Linux since I thought on GNU/Linux most use LV2 or LADSPA. Probably those proprietary on GNU/Linux don't support, and if this particular case is in demand I'll think about this. I have created an issue on this, scheduled for version 2.0.

All of the plugins I use are VST, in Bitwig and Mixbus32C. Not VST3, plain VST.

Although it might be that function-wise, VST3 has more in common with LV2, can it be ?

I see you also developed the Redkite GUI SDK. Cool. I might give it a try just for fun.

I also listened to one piece of yours, "Tomorrow". Great ! Please post some in the "Original Scores & Recordings" section.

Cheers.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 pm

jonetsu wrote:
iurie wrote: Sorry, probably due to my not Enlgish native language I expressed myself somewhat negatively. I have plans to develop VST3 for Windows, I didn't thought about VTS for GNU/Linux since I thought on GNU/Linux most use LV2 or LADSPA. Probably those proprietary on GNU/Linux don't support, and if this particular case is in demand I'll think about this. I have created an issue on this, scheduled for version 2.0.

All of the plugins I use are VST, in Bitwig and Mixbus32C. Not VST3, plain VST.


Aha, thank you. Now I understand the demand.

jonetsu wrote:Although it might be that function-wise, VST3 has more in common with LV2, can it be ?


No, I don't think it has something in common with LV2. I thought to start with VST3 that is the latest version because soon all hosts that use now VST2 should move to VST3 if I am not wrong.

jonetsu wrote:I see you also developed the Redkite GUI SDK. Cool. I might give it a try just for fun.


Geonkick's GUI is developed with Redkite. Redkite for now it supports only X11, in the next 2-3 months I am going to continue to adding Windows API support because of plans to develop VST. Because I didn't want to modify too much the code of Geonkick version 1.0 that was done in Qt, Redkite now has an interface very close to Qt. A provocation was to make Redkite to support drawing in real time the precussion graph that has a 4 seconds length / 48000 samples, and at the same time to provide smooth user interaction with the GUI. Providing just some widgets (buttons etc.) was very simple.

jonetsu wrote:I also listened to one piece of yours, "Tomorrow". Great ! Please post some in the "Original Scores & Recordings" section.


Ah, thank you :) It was selected in the list of the wining peces of the LMMS 2017 contest and published in the LMMS album.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby tavasti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:06 pm

iurie wrote:
jonetsu wrote:All of the plugins I use are VST, in Bitwig and Mixbus32C. Not VST3, plain VST.


Aha, thank you. Now I understand the demand.

LV2 works ok in Mixbus (I am Mixbus user).
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:34 pm

tavasti wrote:LV2 works ok in Mixbus (I am Mixbus user).


The biggest problem is using MIDI instruments in Mixbus.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 pm

iurie wrote:I thought to start with VST3 that is the latest version because soon all hosts that use now VST2 should move to VST3 if I am not wrong.


It might not be so much a question of the future (as it will most certainly all move to VST3) but rather of the present. And a wide acceptation of your plugin by a larger audience.

As such I would ask before proceeding with VST3, for instance such questions as:

- What are the current sales of regular VST plugins ?
- Has at least 85% of the customers/users moved to VST3 ?
- Are companies readily stopping to offer regular VST plugins (eg. stopped updates, obsoleted them) ?

If anything points to a substantial quantity of customers/users still using regular VST, it could be that aiming at VST3 might restrict the exposure of your plugin. It could maybe be a good idea to put forth a regular VST version to gain recognition and exposure, then followed by a VST3 later.

But then I might have read somewhere that the regular Steinberg VST SDK is no longer available ?

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm

jonetsu wrote: But then I might have read somewhere that the regular Steinberg VST SDK is no longer available ?


When I started to develop the Redkite GUI toolkit, I wanted to be sure that I can build with it a VST plugin that shows GUI on Windows, and process events. I have developed for VTS3 a test app with Redkite and loaded into FL Studio (trial version), it worked (here the result test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyQMhHKZeU ). So, the half of the VST3 code is there, I just need to add some stuff. But I agree with you, I'll try to see how much it takes to do also for VST2, and if there is a easy accesible SDK for VST2, because VST3 SDK I could get easy, even though a little disappointed about VST3 interface for the end user.

Anyway in 2, 3 moths I want to release the VTS version for Windows... no matter what version.

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Michael Willis » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 pm

iurie wrote:I'll try to see how much it takes to do also for VST2

Distrho Plugin Framework supports building VST2. See DistrhoPluginVST, that might help you get started.


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests