Ardour monitor settings to use two soundcards

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: Ardour monitor settings to use two soundcards

Post by khz »

With ALSA you can only address one Audio/MIDI interface.
>> Picture from: Ted's Linux MIDI Guide >> http://www.tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

To use multiple Audio/MIDI interfaces synchronously, in low latency, good audio quality and simultaneously you need JACK.
The used Audio/MIDI interfaces have to be synchronized so that they work together sample accurate.

In a program - for example Ardour - you can route everything everywhere between the different Audio/MIDI interfaces inputs and outputs.
[...]

4. Merge multiple sound cards into qjackctl:

A)
Setup > Advanced: "Server Prefix" select "jackdmp", "H/W Monitor", "H/W Meter", "Soft Mode", (RT) "Priority (0 - 99)" (https://linux.die.net/man/1/jackd)
Setup >> Options >> [X] Run script at startup

Code: Select all

jack_load -i "-d hw:1 -i16 -o16" 9632 audioadapter && jack_bufsize 128 &
hw <-- you want to merge (sound card) (hw:1/hw:0/...)
-i <-- your number of sound card inputs
-o <-- your number of sound card outputs
9632 <-- as you want to call them (jackport name)
jack_bufsize <-- set the JACK buffer size

# https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio. ... r_NetJack2
>> Source: Multiple Soundcards >> viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

rghvdberg wrote:This will never be implemented in Ardour because of clock drift between two soundcards, at least that's my theory.
khz wrote:With ALSA you can only address one Audio/MIDI interface.
Just to be clear and to avoid missunderstandings.
So if i understand you both well you try to tell it technically can not be done? As how i am reading it the clocks will always give a problem (technically impossible), no matter what software it is done in? Or am i understanding you both wrong?

To be very clear. I am NOT going to discuss this subject at all right now.
I have just tested it again with audacity. Input u-phoria , output soundcard, over ALSA, and it worked, again.
I tried to video record it but with the people in the house right now that was not possible at this moment (disturbing background sounds). Video were you can clearly see in audacity it is possible is upcoming. I am working on it. Some patience please.

After i have shown the video we all can talk more about it. Until then i am not replying on this detail. OK?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

zoco wrote:(disturbing background sounds)
Intriguing! What's going on in your house? :lol:

I think everyone knows what you are saying so no need for a video to show that you had it working audacity.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

sysrqer wrote:
zoco wrote:(disturbing background sounds)
Intriguing! What's going on in your house? :lol:
A happy family which talkes with each other. :mrgreen:
Which makes me happy, but disturbs at the background when i record video. Their subjects do not have to go viral.
sysrqer wrote:I think everyone knows what you are saying so no need for a video to show that you had it working audacity.
Then it must be that i do not understand why then still people are saying that two audio interfaces, one for incoming and another for outgoing, is technically not possible?

Still the video to make clear what i mean to ask and what i was trying to explain. Hoping video will be more clear then my words? Showing how i set it in audacity which works.
Hoping it will become more clear what i look for to do in ardour.
https://youtu.be/7rt5q6DaMC4
As you can see and hear two different interfaces is technically possible.
You hear a double. That is the sound recorded on video together with the sound recorded in Audacity. I especially wanted to make a one track video recording without any cuts.

To bad ardour can not handle that. Perhaps something for the future? That would make me happy.
So now i have to try the jack route to become the settings as set in audacity shown in the video.
Last edited by zoco on Thu May 30, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

zoco wrote:Then it must be that i do not understand why then still people are saying that two audio interfaces, one for incoming and another for outgoing, is technically not possible?
That's possible, yeah. With ALSA - MultipleCards >> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards , "~/.asoundrc" >> https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index ... el_devices it should be feasible. Audacity can do that then probably because of that.

But you can't use both inputs and outputs of your audio/MIDI interface at the same time (two inputs and outputs of your audio/MIDI interface). But as you described it, you don't need it - if I understood you correctly. I don't know if ALSA will synchronize the different inputs and outputs of your audio/MIDI interfaces so that they will work exactly together. I don't think ALSA does that.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.