Sends from instrument tracks.

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

alex stone
Established Member

Sends from instrument tracks.

Post by alex stone »

I'm slowly putting this large orchestral template together, and a question springs to mind.

How do other Muse users create sends from instrument tracks to multiple outputs, like verbs and other FX, and the master out? Is it just routing, and then balancing across busses before the master out, or is there a dedicated pre-gain send i haven't found yet?

Alex.
artofmusic
Established Member

Re: Sends from instrument tracks.

Post by artofmusic »

You'll need to create an aux send and name it something. then a dial for it will pop up on every synth plugin. Be warned if your plugin has more than 2 outs you will need to create a group as well, like for example strings and then take all the outputs for the plugin strings section and connect them to the group strings inputs. Also, Muse only supports up to Stereo at this time. It would be nice to see it support surround mixing at some point.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Not quite sure the question but if you mean external hardware (or software) effects then the
way to do it is by using an Audio Output track to send, and an Audio Input track to return
from the external effect. Then those two track must be inserted into some chain, for example
from an existing Wave track to the send Audio Output track, then from the return Audio Input track
to wherever that Wave track was connected before, like some other output track.
There is no way to insert such external effects into an audio track's effects rack
(but an interesting idea for sure, a feature request I'd say).
Tip: If you use an Audio Output track for sending and Audio Input track for returning, there is a handy feature
actually discussed in the MusE help manual, where you can 'solo-chain' the output and input together
so that soloing the Audio Output track, or any track in its chain, automatically solos the Audio Input track
and all tracks in its chain.
The same feature also works for Midi send outputs to Audio Input tracks. Solo a midi track for example,
and the corresponding Audio Input track to which the external midi device's audio output is connected,
will automatically be soloed along with all tracks in that Audio Input track's chain.

If you mean routing within the app, there is the specialized Aux Track which can be used for sending.
Create one or more Aux Tracks and then all other audio tracks will gain a 'send' control for each created Aux Track.

Beyond that there's not really any specialized Master output track or something like that.
It's more like free-form, use the Audio Output track for anything, really.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Thanks fellas, the aux send was what i was looking for. And a good tip about the group, Artofmusic. Each plugin instance of linuxsampler.lv2 has 32 outs, although i don't use them all.

Tim, the free form concept is a good idea, imho.

Onwards and Upwards.

Alex.