Cool guys in the marketplace

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Cool guys in the marketplace

Post by jonetsu »

There are some cool people out there in the market place. By cool I mean participating in discussions, having a presence on KVR for instance, commenting on this and that, when not offering help directly and/or making live streams. Some companies (many?) have no such enthusiast figures. Some are barely making casual contact, some 'seems' to avoid it.

So amongst the cool guys out there I would list:

Urs Heckmann - u-he synths and plugins
Vojtech Melda Meluzin - Melda Production plugins
Rob Papen - Rob Papen synths and plugins

Any others ?

Cheers.
nils
Established Member

Re: Cool guys in the marketplace

Post by nils »

What is next? Calling out the opposite group of people? Some mobbing maybe?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

nilshi wrote:What is next? Calling out the opposite group of people? Some mobbing maybe?
Can you elaborate on these thoughts of yours ?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

jonetsu wrote:
nilshi wrote:What is next? Calling out the opposite group of people? Some mobbing maybe?
Can you elaborate on these thoughts of yours ?
Of course, i cannot speak for nilshi, nor I wish to. I also do not wish to derail this topic, so I will drop by here just for this very quick comment.

It feels kinda wrong to me to put the real names of people on a public list by judging their behavior, and it does not matter too much if it is a list of "good" people, as this being "good" is defined by an arbitrary demarcation line by which those guys are somehow judged worthy. I would maybe change it in a list of most engaged and supportive companies? I think it is better, as it would be compiled on the actions and policy of a company, rather than the behavior and personality of people: I do not think people should be judged in any different place than a court, if they are suspected of having committed something nasty.

In short, to me, proscription list of people one considers bad = list of people one consider good. I do not like the idea of calling out people explicitly for their choices and behavior.

List of companies with a certain policy = useful thing for potential buyers to choose among different options. Hence, it would make more sense to have this here.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

CrocoDuck wrote:List of companies with a certain policy = useful thing for potential buyers to choose among different options.
Absolutely.

These people are the founders/owners of their respective companies. As such, I do not see much difference in naming the company or the active founders/owners who after all are the ones visible to the general public.

As a counter-example, a company can be supportive by outsourcing their support staff while still maintaining a prompt service. Although in that case it is a company and not individuals. Unless of course one contact supports and ends up with an email reply that contains a staffer's name.

More generally speaking it is perhaps the 'warm" difference it makes between buying bread at a big supermarket and buying bread at a small bakery where the owner might at the same time let you know about his thoughts of the day and simply enjoy a chat. For some people this difference between a small friendly shop and a big box store might not matter in their decision as to where to buy bread as perhaps the "effort" made to observe the opening times of the small bakery is not worth the 24/7 convenience of the big box store, for instance. Or maybe some do not want the "overhead" implied by a friendly baker. Or who knows, maybe there's some sense of "fulfillment" of social justice in staring at a smartphone so often. :mrgreen:

So for me it's much about that. The little shop. Making great products and, having their founders/owners actively participating in discussions. Not to mention the support they actually offer. These qualities, I find, are valuable. And are distinctive.

And no, I will not make a list of companies (because in that case it would be companies and not people since you don't see them at all, or very, very rarely) that are not actively participating in public discussions. It would not be productive to do so isn't it. I wonder what the train of thought is, the one that leads from "friendly people" to "making a list of not friendly people that you never see". Maybe a bit convoluted.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This would be a totally different topic having to do in parts with private communication companies used daily by the masses who will be shown as soldiers of human rights, democracy and liberty thus decoupling governments from actually doing repressive actions. Making it even easier to pinpoint foreign dictators in countries where we ought to establish Democracy and Liberty (TM), for the good of their populations and to rally voters in spending millions on bombs and weapons so that the Just can triumph over the dictators.

So it is really another topic.

Cheers/Tschüß
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

jonetsu wrote: More generally speaking it is perhaps the 'warm" difference it makes between buying bread at a big supermarket and buying bread at a small bakery where the owner might at the same time let you know about his thoughts of the day and simply enjoy a chat. For some people this difference between a small friendly shop and a big box store might not matter in their decision as to where to buy bread
I doubt that most active developers have time for,
or even want a large group of people to chat with,
yet still value accurate communications from customers about their products.
Devs have friends and families and co-workers better suited to sharing warmth.
As a customer, and forum member, it's important to be consistant
with communications. I don't expect a reply, warm or chilly, to every post I make,
and lately, have decided against posts that seemed ready for the enter key,
but upon more honest proofreading, held little or no value,
or would be stirring a pot. Of four instruments I most often use,
one developer has vanished, one is cloacked in anonymity,
and two others communicate regularly in related forums. But that presence
or lack thereof has not often impressed the local rent-a-muse
when loading the first track :wink:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

glowrak guy wrote:I doubt that most active developers have time for, or even want a large group of people to chat with,
yet still value accurate communications from customers about their products. Devs have friends and families and co-workers better suited to sharing warmth.
Now we go from founders/owners to developers. Would you care to say why this jump is happening ?
glowrak guy wrote:As a customer, and forum member, it's important to be consistant with communications.
And to do so before addressing consistency ?

Otherwise, the guy who just works at the bakery is not the founder/owner of the bakery.
glowrak guy wrote:II don't expect a reply, warm or chilly, to every post I make, and lately, have decided against posts that seemed ready for the enter key, but upon more honest proofreading, held little or no value, or would be stirring a pot.
It seems that for now, underlining the friendliness of founders/owners is something abject. There's more to it, though. Some shift in society.
glowrak guy wrote:Of four instruments I most often use, one developer has vanished, one is cloacked in anonymity,
and two others communicate regularly in related forums. But that presence or lack thereof has not often impressed the local rent-a-muse when loading the first track :wink:
No later than in December 2018 I bought two synths from Peter (LinPlug) when he openly declared that he was liquidating the company. And the company making the most creative synths and plugins, their synths and plugins being artistic expressions by themselves, hardly communicates openly on their own KVR forum.

Does it influence anything when the first track is loaded ? No. To know that the mechanic where you go to for your car is a small friendly shop does not influence when you are driving. But it can make a difference otherwise.

Cheers.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Many developers are founders, owners, coders, CEO, CTO and beancounter
rolled into one. I think IK is the only outfit I regularly buy from
without knowing a single coders/owners name. (not counting no-brainer sales)
With discoDSP, U-he, Seaweed Audio, Harrison Mixbus, and NI,
it's easy to find someone involved at a few different positions
in public forums.

I get my bread at the local thrift bakery. Amazing variety, high quality, friendly staff,
and discount programs. No local mom/pop bakery within 5 miles. There are
seasonal bakeries in the small seaside towns, but can't make money until tourist season.
Those in the trendy gentrified areas sell drugs or coffee to keep the doors open.

My newest car is 27 years old. But I keep track of mechanics who can
count that high
Cheers
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Did I miss something here? Every conversation on the net... Someone always has to find an issue... Try to give some recognition to some people doing good and someone will find the bad in it, somehow...

As for a person I would mention - Eric Persing from Spectrasonics. Dude just has a fun, enthusiastic vibe and seems genuinely excited and into what he's doing. I always really enjoy his plugin demos and I think he might've even answered a support question or two when I was an Omnisphere 2 user.