Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 or Zoom U-22?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zoco
Established Member

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 or Zoom U-22?

Post by zoco »

I am thinking about buying a simple interface to be some more flexible outside my fixed studio.
Thinking about the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 or the Zoom U-22.

Do both work well with Ubuntu aka linux? Plug 'n play?
And is there a significant different between both which explains the difference in price, or does the cheapest gives a sound as good as the other one does?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 or Zoom U-22?

Post by sysrqer »

As far as the price is concerned they are different because one has an extra line input and higher recording resolution.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

The line input does not concern me as everything else will happen behind it. The one time something needs to be done before it i have other extending options available, like a portable mixer. It will mostly be used for a one microphone recording which will be used in the studio later.
With the recording resolutions you have a good point at which you attended me. Do i need to ask myself if i would need more than 48kHz for simple recordings in the field as 96kHz is very high already.

How about difference in quality? Like with noise? With latency? Clearness? That kind off aspects.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I would go for the Behringer as it has (in contrast to the Zoom) balanced outputs. The higher Sampling rate of the Zoom doesn't matter in the real world. Of course it only makes sense if your monitors have balanced input.

It also seems to work out of the box in Linux.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

lilith wrote:It also seems to work out of the box in Linux.
That is what i can find too.
Could find that the U-Phoria UMC2 for sure works with linux. As also for the U-Phoria UMC404HD.
For the U-Phoria UMC22 i could not find confirmation yet.

Now i am doubting between the U-Phoria UMC2 or the UMC22. :?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Here it's written in german that it works:

https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/erfa ... nterfaces/
Ich habe ein Behringer UMC22 und das funktioniert bei Ubuntu und Linux Mint out of the box. Ein Grundrauschen kann ich eigentlich nicht wahr nehmen, allerdings ist mein Shure SM57 damit ein bisschen leise, was aber glaube ich eher an der Struktur des Mikrofons liegt.

Am UMC22 gibts ansonsten auch nichts zu meckern, außer das es keinen An- und Auschalter hat.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

lilith wrote:Here it's written in german that it works:

https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/erfa ... nterfaces/
Danke! Sie haben mich damit ganz froh gemacht. :D
Der wird es wahrscheinlich werden.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Gern geschehen :mrgreen:

I would go for the 22 as the 2 is only not balanced on the outputs. To connect it to your monitors you then need TRS cables.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

The MIDAS pre-amps :wink: also are a plus for the 22 over the 2. Big differences for only a hand full off euros.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Probably late to the party, but here my two cents.

I have a Behringher UMC202HD. Not the same unit you are considering, but one of the same series (U-Phoria). I planned to do a detailed review as that I did for my old gen Scarlett which you see here, but that has become item #57495 on my list of things to do (not really a list that long... it's not having time to do stuff that makes it feel longer...).

I will briefly describe my unit here, maybe it helps to get a feeling about what the U-Phoria series offers. The UMC202HD works great with Linux. No issues there. Built quality is OK, better than my old gen Scarlett I think. Connectors especially feel much sturdier, but they are still not the best out of there. Pots are the part that feels sturdiest. In terms of signal quality I could not do a direct AB comparison with my Scarlett, but I would say that the UMC202HD gave me the distinct impression of having significantly less noise rejection and lower linearity. Not to the levels it is impossible to work with it by any stretch of the imagination: it requires me to play with the levels a little bit to minimize both unwanted noise and distortion.

As far as a soundcard is concerned, for me the most important requirements on the preamps are pretty much only 3: High SNR, Flat Frequency Response, Low THD. That because my aim is to record my instruments without introducing coloration I cannot control. So, to me having "special preamps" is not a selling point, unless the special preamps are designed to achieve the 3 points above as best as possible. The UMC202HD has the midas, and I find myself cranking down the input levels to prevent harmonics that I do not wish for.
belongumdave
Established Member

Post by belongumdave »

Hello All. I have viewed postings from 2019, and did not see any new postings for UMC22 or the like.
I hope I am in the right place to discuss my understanding of connecting UMC22 to guitarix or Ardour 7.
The UMC22 has Texas Instruments Chip. When I look for the relating chip in Jack setup, it does not show any relation to the Texas chip. It shows
HW:CODEC USB AUDIO CODEC (... and HW:CODEC,0 USB AUDIO (hw:,0)
I am not sure which one to choose. I tried both but I still cannot see any input in Guitarix.
Where am I going wrong? and my understanding is becoming less. and less.
On my UMC22 I have the guitar plugged into the 'INST 2' port, and for now, using the headphone as the output.
If I play music from a file, the output goes to my headphones. Does that mean another device is using that USB interface and is that why I cannot get Guitarix to use the interface?
Sorry to be all over the place, but I am a lost soul.
Hope there is some help to put me in the right place, regards, David

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Strange. I used to have a UMC22, it showed that HW:CODEC USB AUDIO CODEC thingie (it's like a generic name, it often shows that for many audio interface), and the guitar just worked, I think it worked using any of the two variants just the same. In which section of the qjackctl menu are you selecting that option? It's in tab "settings", drop down menu called "Interface".

(Btw, maybe you should open a new thread, this one is about choosing between the U-Phoria and another interface, so it will make it harder for you to get help, and it also makes the thread more confusing to read... Also, I never knew why, but it's frowned upon to resurrect threads that are several years old... Not that I mind, just so that you know...)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Nachei wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:02 pm

[...] maybe you should open a new thread, this one is about choosing between the U-Phoria and another interface

Second that. And I do not think there's a Texas Instruments chip inside a Behringer device.

belongumdave
Established Member

Post by belongumdave »

Hello, I have a UMC22 and has TI PCM2902 chip, just to let you know