[ANN] M1000 Manager - Oberheim Matrix-1000 patch editor

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tux99
Established Member

[ANN] M1000 Manager - Oberheim Matrix-1000 patch editor

Post by tux99 »

20-Apr-2019
A new release of the M1000 Manager is available now, and the M1000 Manager now has a dedicated web site. :D

See here: http://m1000-manager.linuxtech.net/

--------------------------------------

18-Feb-2015
I'm pleased to officially announce the first public release (version 0.5) of M1000 Manager, a patch editor for the Oberheim Matrix-1000 polyphonic analog synthesizer.

The M1000 Manager is written entirely in Perl and therefore runs on any Linux PC with Perl installed (most distros have Perl installed by default, if not then just install it using the package manager of your distro).

The M1000 Manager is optimized for Matrix-1000 synths running firmware 116 or newer.
See: http://gliglisynth.blogspot.fr/2014/11/ ... -v116.html

I highly recommend to upgrade your Matrix-1000 to firmware 116 as the improvements are very useful.
All bugs of the original firmware are fixed in 116 and it includes a support for unison detune (which sounds fantastic!).

Here are a couple of screenshots of the M1000 Manager:

main window

modulation matrix editor (on separate window)

Any questions please feel free to ask, I don't bite! :wink:
Last edited by tux99 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: [ANN] M1000 Manager - Oberheim Matrix-1000 patch editor

Post by glowrak guy »

That looks extremely useful for lucky/wise Matrix owners 8)

But when is the Alesis QS8 editor being released?
(remember, you promised not to bite :lol: )
Cheers
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

glowrak guy wrote:That looks extremely useful for lucky/wise Matrix owners 8)
Yes, indeed it is, since I finished the editor I have been having more fun with my Matrix-1000 together with the editor than in the entire previous 18 years I have owned the Matrix. :D (But that's also thanks to the work of Gligli who wrote the 116 Firmware update that makes the Matrix-1000 a lot more usable, see link above)
But when is the Alesis QS8 editor being released?
Unfortunately I don't own an Alesis QS8. To write an editor I need to have access to the synth.

Also I still have to finish the Korg X5 / X5D / X5DR / 05R/W editor I started a long time ago, before I can start any other new editor.
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=33213#p33213
https://github.com/tux99/xseries_editor
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

After receiving some feedback I have now removed the numeric scales below the sliders, as they made the GUI too cluttered and aren't really needed. New version is 0.5.2. Links and screenshots in the first post have been updated.

Further suggestions on how to improve the editor are always welcome.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Awesome, thank you very much =)
It's such a great sounding DCO analog at what used to be a giveaway price.

I will be sure to try this out once my v1.16 firmwares arrive.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

asbak wrote:Awesome, thank you very much =)
You are welcome. Let me know how it goes!
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Been trying this out and it seems very nice! Thank you so much for your hard work.

The 116 firmware seems a lot quicker at doing parameter changes so now if only I can figure out how to assign the mod wheel to do filter sweeps :D
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

asbak wrote:Been trying this out and it seems very nice! Thank you so much for your hard work.
Thanks for the feedback! :)
asbak wrote:The 116 firmware seems a lot quicker at doing parameter changes so now if only I can figure out how to assign the mod wheel to do filter sweeps :D
You need to assign 'Lever 2' (source) to 'VCF Frequency' (destination) on one of the 10 available Modulation Matrix slots (on the second smaller window).
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

tux99 wrote:You need to assign 'Lever 2' (source) to 'VCF Frequency' (destination) on one of the 10 available Modulation Matrix slots (on the second smaller window).
Thanks so much! I forgot which source to use and last time I tried it with the original firmware the M1000 didn't work well anyway and kept crashing.

All working now, awesome!

So I did more messing around and managed to save a patch on the editor to syx and dump it to the M1000. (And I forgot how one saves patches permanently on the M1000 so will need to rtfm again....)

[EDIT - On M1000 Panel hold down Enter key, type in the number of the patch location, release Enter key saves it]

However, when trying to use the "Read From" function on the editor nothing seems to happen and the editor appears to hang. I am probably doing something wrong (because at this stage I don't really know what I'm doing) but is the idea that "Read From" dumps the data from the current M1000 patch into the editor, and is there something specific one needs to do or enable on the M1000 to make this work?
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

asbak wrote:[EDIT - On M1000 Panel hold down Enter key, type in the number of the patch location, release Enter key saves it]
Yep, that's correct.
My editor intentionally only dumps to the edit buffer of the Matrix-1000 so that there is no risk of accidentally overwriting patches on the Matrix-1000 with the editor.
To save a patch permanently on the Matrix-1000 you need to do as you figured out already.

I'm planning to add a librarian feature to the editor in future and that will be able to save patches and banks of patches permanently on the Matrix-1000.
asbak wrote:However, when trying to use the "Read From" function on the editor nothing seems to happen and the editor appears to hang. I am probably doing something wrong (because at this stage I don't really know what I'm doing) but is the idea that "Read From" dumps the data from the current M1000 patch into the editor, and is there something specific one needs to do or enable on the M1000 to make this work?
You understood it correctly, "Read From" is supposed to read the current edit buffer from the Matrix-1000 into the editor.
Providing you have configured the MIDI IN device correctly in the editor and connected the MIDI OUT port of the Matrix-1000 to the MIDI IN port of your PC MIDI interface with a non-defective MIDI cable, then this should work.
If it hangs it means there is some problem with the MIDI transfer (I still need to figure out how to avoid the hang and bow out gracefully from such a situation :oops: ).
What kind of MIDI interface are you using to connect your PC to the Matrix-1000?
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

tux99 wrote: You understood it correctly, "Read From" is supposed to read the current edit buffer from the Matrix-1000 into the editor.
Providing you have configured the MIDI IN device correctly in the editor and connected the MIDI OUT port of the Matrix-1000 to the MIDI IN port of your PC MIDI interface with a non-defective MIDI cable, then this should work.
If it hangs it means there is some problem with the MIDI transfer (I still need to figure out how to avoid the hang and bow out gracefully from such a situation :oops: ).
What kind of MIDI interface are you using to connect your PC to the Matrix-1000?
Thank for you clarifying this tux99, so I think it means that something's misconfigured on my side.

The problem for me is that the midi setup is quite complex because it makes use of a UA-25 which routes in and out of a MOTU MTP AV on ports 8.
So basically, I couldn't get it to work at all for some reason using only jackmidi (I think?) and the UA-25 and then selecting the MIDI interface in M1000 Manager (probably some kind of mistake on my side and lack of understanding)

but

I could get it to transmit to the M1000 by

- starting jack,
- then starting a2jmidid,
- then jack_connect the M1000 Manager a2j MIDI Output to the UA-25 Midi Playback, (UA-25 routes into the MTP-AV which again reroutes MIDI to the M1000)
- jack_connect the M1000 Manager a2j MIDI INPUT to the UA-25 Midi Capture, (This doesn't appear to have any effect at the moment)
- then selecting the Midi channel of the M1000 on the M1000 Manager

So I guess maybe the return path isn't set up right on the MTP AV or there's some other kind of issue which is preventing data from returning from the M1000 to the M1000 Manager and the application hangs.

In such a case the simple solution would probably be to rather bypass the MTP AV and connect the M1000 directly to the UA-25 but this involved all kinds of unplugging of cables every time to edit sounds and then having to repeat the process when done so it's not ideal.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

That sounds like a complicated setup. :)
I would suggest to try without jack/a2j, just select the UA-25 ALSA MIDI IN and OUT devices directly in the M1000 Manager and see if that works. If it does, then that means the hardware setup is ok and the problem must be in the Jack setup.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

4 years have passed and now finally a new release of the M1000 Manager is available, and the M1000 Manager now has a dedicated web site. :D

See here: http://m1000-manager.linuxtech.net/

(I have updated the first post of this thread with this info too)