New guy here and already struggling with Jack!

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rva1945

New guy here and already struggling with Jack!

Post by rva1945 »

Hi:

I have just created the AV Linux live CD and trying it.
I want to install it in a dual boot system, I can't get rid of W7, one of the reasons being Guitar Rig installed in it.

I basically want to use Guitarix or Rackarrack.

The guitar is plugged into the line in jack. I want to play it on (mp3) backing tracks, as I do it in GR.

Will I be able to do the same in AVLinux?
I know this has to do with configuring Jack and as this is a must-have, is there a precise guide on how to do it?

Thanks, Robert
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Re: New guy here and already struggling with Jack!

Post by nikgnomicradio »

getting JACK to start ok can be tricky first time around but it is usually a one-time thing to find the right settings for your hardware

many JACK packages will start JACK when launched but can't cope with Pulseaudio sharing audio devices
so it is better to use a JACK manager application before other JACK applications

AVLinux has QjackCtl already installed - most of it is pre-configured
see AVLinux manual from page 78 on setting up QjackCtl to run JACK
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2019UserManual.pdf

Only thing I would add to Glenn's excellent manual is try the new 'Graph' window in QjackCtl instead of the connections window
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Short addition: You need a jack-aware application to play back your mp3. I usually use audacity for that, there might be others.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Audacious can play through JACK, if all you want to do is play an mp3. That's probably less trouble than Audacity, if all you want to do is play along to a prerecorded backing track. If you are trying to record your guitar, then you will need something like Audacity or another DAW.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Yes Audacious can be very useful. It's also quite minimalist - especially if you set the tiny view.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Musicteacher wrote:Short addition: You need a jack-aware application to play back your mp3. I usually use audacity for that, there might be others.
I play audio files w/o any concern as to whether the application is jack-aware or not. Makes life simple. I use mpv for audio and video.

Simply by using pulseaudio, which is already installed (at least on Xubuntu/Ubuntu and others) and with the jack-sink for pulseaudio, the concern for finding jack-aware a/v apps simply dissolves (and that includes firefox).

Moreover, the jack-sink and pulseaudio will automatically start jack at each boot and uses a ~/.jackdrc file like this one:

/usr/bin/jackd --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p512 -n8

The net result is no thinking about is this jack compatible or not ?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Another cool thing is that you can even run GR on linux :)

For instance you could run it stand alone with wine/wineasio/jack, or as a plugin in some DAW using a wrapper (like LinVst). Depending on what version you have available it might more or less of a PITA to install and get up and running though. :)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Jack Winter wrote:Another cool thing is that you can even run GR on linux
It will consume too much CPU due to system call translation and other complications connected with tricking a Windows application to run on Linux. Instead, I'd suggest ToneLib GFX. It's a native app, and it sounds a lot more realistic than Guitar Rig.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

AlexTheBassist wrote:It will consume too much CPU due to system call translation and other complications connected with tricking a Windows application to run on Linux.
I think this is wrong! Have you tried it yourself?

IME there is no problem to run an instance of GR at low latency on a modern system. Yes windows software runs better on windows, but it's definitely feasible to use it on Linux/wine, depending on what your needs and expectations are..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Jack Winter wrote:I think this is wrong! Have you tried it yourself?
Well, otherwise I wouldn't say that it will consume too much. I'm not a fan of Guitar Rig, but tried their demo again a month ago, and it still sucked a big one under WINE. It caused a whole lot of xruns, which I couldn't get rid of unless I increased buffer size to the unplayable point. And yes, I've got a modern system and all the freshest packages from KXStudio. So, I found an app that is vastly better in means of sound, consumes about 2% of CPU, and is native.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I'm not saying that native applications are bad, in fact I agree they are preferable.

My own experience was of GR running perfectly well even at 64 frames 2 periods on my system. Was really just a FYI to the OP. YMMW and all that :)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Jack Winter wrote:I'm not saying that native applications are bad, in fact . . . .
Oh, that is exactly what you saying.

Ah new user steps in, ask for help to get linux native guitar processing software to run, and you, didn't have anything to contribute to that, then told, "No, that is the wrong way, go, use wine and guitar rig."

What did you expect would be the impression leaves by that?

You mask it as "Wow, look how cool it is, you could use even Guitar Rig"
But at least, you say with that, exactly what you stated you didn't say.
Linux native guitar processing software is shit, and you give a shit on it.

Thanks for your support, jack winter.
On the road again.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

tramp wrote:
Jack Winter wrote:I'm not saying that native applications are bad, in fact . . . .
Oh, that is exactly what you saying.

Ah new user steps in, ask for help to get linux native guitar processing software to run, and you, didn't have anything to contribute to that, then told, "No, that is the wrong way, go, use wine and guitar rig."

What did you expect would be the impression leaves by that?

You mask it as "Wow, look how cool it is, you could use even Guitar Rig"
But at least, you say with that, exactly what you stated you didn't say.
Linux native guitar processing software is shit, and you give a shit on it.

Thanks for your support, jack winter.
No I didn't, though you are free to interpret as you want. I just wanted to point out to the OP that if he wishes he can even use GR (as that is his current software). Nothing more, nothing else.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Jack Winter wrote:No I didn't, though you are free to interpret as you want. I just wanted to point out to the OP that if he wishes he can even use GR (as that is his current software). Nothing more, nothing else.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea, sure, you are somewaht from of right man, sorry, for ever step in and put your interaction here in question. You are a hero, go wine man, go go go ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sry, can't resist.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

To explain that, if, a user steps in here and ask for help to get a linux application to run, for sure, the last to expect is, "hey, just use a windows app for that".
So, the question is, why do you feel the need to do so. If a user ask for help to get guitar rig running, well, you are the one. But, no one ask this here.
On the road again.